Yet another FL14 in progress.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Yet another FL14 in progress.

Post by HokieBoatbuilder »

Hey everyone,
I've attempted to upload some pictures of my boat (FL14). I started it Feb. 23, and I'm now fairing this inside for painting. I've already faired the outside as you can see. It's constructed of Meranti plywood and marine epoxy, and the outside of the hull is glassed with 6 oz. The holes in the frames are for deck plates, and the square of plywood near the stern is for a fishing rod rack I ordered. The seats and rubrail are solid cherry that I will be varnishing. My knees and outboard pad are made from poplar. I know a lot of people don't recommend poplar for boats, but I have a BS and soon an MS in wood science and forest products, and I say it is definitely OK for that part of the boat. I'm painting the boat vashon grey (S3) inside and out except for the varnished seats and rubrail. This is my first boat, and probably the only one I will build for a while. It has been fun.

-Taylor

FL14

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Sorry, now it works

-Taylor

FL14

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

Taylor,

Nice work! She looks great!
Building the FL14

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Taylor,

Good to see some pics of your boat - keep 'em coming. My wife is a lot better now, so I hope to get back to my FL14 soon, but it looks like you might be in the water before me. You've done a real nice job. I see you've added plates for the oarlocks - are you planning to put an outboard on it? If so, what HP?
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks Dane. I am having a time fairing the inside. I really wish I faired adequately before I attached the mid seat forward seat top. I have to sand kind of upside down and the angles are so steep I have to sand by hand. It's pretty tough in all the other places too when compared to the outside. I am lucky atleast I have 2 months before I will be capable of putting it in the water so I can take my time. Good luck with your priming this weekend. I know you said you don't keep up with Ohio State Bball, but you should really check this out: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... 004/SPORTS
-Taylor

FL14

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks Mike. I have been reading your post for a long time, it's extremely informative. Are you still going to build that DE23? After building all this sanding, I think I'd need a nice break. Glad to hear your wife is doing better. I'm probably just putting a trolling motor on the back eventually. I was checking out 55 pound thrust models. If I had my choice I'd buy that 5 hp briggs and stratton. I'll definitely have the ability to do that structurally. As of now I just have oars. I'm a poor college student and I blew my boats funds on the plywood and paint. I can't wait to see how your paint job comes out, sounds like it's going to be great.
-Taylor

FL14

Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Steve_MA »

Thats why I faired the inside of mine before putting the seats on. I thought it would be easier....especially when I wanted the hatch areas to look good.

I glassed mine inside and out. All 4oz except for 9oz on the bottom. Did you find it was easier fairing the inside where you just had fiberglass tape and plywood to smooth as compared to the outside?

The boat looks really good. I like how you lowered the top of the frames a bit. Good idea. I am going to try to varnish the seats and rubrail too....we'll see. Time is not on my side so I might just go with paint.

Good work.

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

HokieBoatbuilder wrote:Are you still going to build that DE23?
The FL14 was only ever intended to be practice for the DE23 and my wife and I are still keen to own a cabin cruiser in our retirement. However, the new DE25 looks so promising that I may decide to buy the plans for that and build it as designed, rather than make the modifications to the DE23 pilothouse that I had planned. I'm waiting for the study plans to be released so I can make a decision. If I do buy the DE25 plans, I have a friend who may be interested in buying the DE23 plans from me. Either way, I will finish the DE23 model!

I'm not sure when I will start the DE23/25 - I don't have sufficient space here in Canberra and as we expect to be retiring to Queensland within the next two years I may have to delay the project, or I may be able to start it by cutting the frames and panels and then storing them until I have the space to build. Still thinking about options on that.
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

In my opinion the outside is easier because it's tough to put quickfair on the bends of the tape in the inside. I don't know if I explained that correctly, it is friday night. My early fiberglass work was pretty bad so it has really taken more fairing effort. When I faired the outside I decided to just take a wide putty knife and spread quickfair over the whole hull keeping the knife at a high angle. It worked out just fine altough I did use a ton of quickfair. Those cut down frames are a funny story..... the first day of boat building I cut all the frames and somehow cut one an inch and a half short. I then decided that I should make them all match up. Structurally it seems fine because I frequently roll the boat on its side.
-Taylor

FL14

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Just to update everyone, I"m about 1/3 through fairing the inside. I finally have the hang of fairing those difficult corners. I have switched to 40 grit sandpaper and I wish I had been using it all along, it works great and I think that high build primer will fill it no problem. I hope to finish fairing the boat on friday. I will then vacuum my shop and put on some S3 high gloss varnish. I've been woodworking for a few years now but I hate brush on polyurethane. I've learned so much with this boat, but I think one thing I would never do again is build a boat in the winter. I had trouble keeping my shop 45 degrees, and after it warmed up I realized how much better epoxy flows when it's warm, it seems to go a lot further. I could have used less if it were warmer. I hope to have some pictures of my varnish work by the end of the weekend. I think that I can almost see the finish line.
-Taylor

FL14