HMD18 Fuel tank and rub rail

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Yoda
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

HMD18 Fuel tank and rub rail

Post by Yoda »

Fuel tank is in and fastened down. One "lam" left to finish rubrail port. Starboard is done. Pics uploaded.

Edit: admin added Gallery Link

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

Yoda
How much clearance do you need between the top of the tank and the cockpit floor to bend that fuel fill line and not kink it? Looks like it is a straight fitting coming off of the tank. Appreciate the pic's.
Three coats of primer on, one more to go. S3 primer - interesting stuff to work with. Rolling it on.
Doug

Jimmiller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

HMD18

Post by Jimmiller »

Yoda,nice rubrail.Is that a water tank I see in the bow :doh: ?
What is that gray hose by the black tank?

LOOKING GOOD

JIM
PHANTOM 18

Yoda
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Yoda »

Doug N wrote:Yoda
How much clearance do you need between the top of the tank and the cockpit floor to bend that fuel fill line and not kink it? Looks like it is a straight fitting coming off of the tank. Appreciate the pic's.
Three coats of primer on, one more to go. S3 primer - interesting stuff to work with. Rolling it on.
Doug
I went to a place called Delta Rubber and bought their gas hose. It's CG approved and has the wire coil built in, they say it won't kink. And I laid a piece of ply where the deck goes. Believe it or not, it made the bend which WAS a concern. All the other hose I purchased at West Marine.

Make sure after you clean the primer (no finger oils) sand lightly one more time. I had a couple of spots with adhesion problems. (S3)

Edit: Doug, I would suggest if you go with inboard fuel tank you pick another configuration than what is on the plans. That would avoid the tight bend.
Last edited by Yoda on Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yoda
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: HMD18

Post by Yoda »

Jimmiller wrote:Yoda,nice rubrail.Is that a water tank I see in the bow :doh: ?
What is that gray hose by the black tank?

LOOKING GOOD

JIM
PHANTOM 18
Hi Jim, 9 gal. Todd water tank. It's amidship not to confuse you.
Fuel tank has fill (black) and vent (grey) pickup (grey) hoses.

Here's rub rail story. I started out with 1"X2" quarter sawn Douglas fir rub rail. You can see it in older pics (Yoda)
Didn't like it so uninstalled it. Started with power plane. Then a hand plane when I got close to the hull. Finally sanded the last remnants off.
Just a little side trip to blow more time...... :lol: :roll:

P.S. Anyone need Douglas fir curls. I have plenty :|