NC16 Build: A Comedy of Errors

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JasonMN
New Poster
New Poster

NC16 Build: A Comedy of Errors

Post by JasonMN »

Please excuse my attempt at a clever thread title.

Anyways, I started my NC16 build on 8/13/05 by picking up 2.5 sheets of 6mm bs1088 Okoume from a local source. In the past few days I have completed the following tasks:

- Cut out panels
- Glued butt blocks in place
- Temporarily and loosely taped hull together and put on saw horses to make sure it looks like a boat and not a submarine (looks like a boat)

The following are the steps I will complete next:

- Take apart hull and sand interior with 120 or 220
- Put back on sawhorses and stitch with duct tape and cable ties

A few questions I have, or “What would Bateau2 do?â€
Currently building my NC16

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: NC16 Build: A Comedy of Errors

Post by Rick »

[quote="JasonMN"]The following are the steps I will complete next:

- Take apart hull and sand interior with 120 or 220
- Put back on sawhorses and stitch with duct tape and cable ties

A few questions I have, or “What would Bateau2 do?â€

Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon »

Hey Bateau, GREAT quote:
"The greatest thing about S&G building is that you can make any number of sloppy errors and the material will either cover it up or make repairs trivial. I find it liberating after spending the last 15 years making cabinets where every tiny mistake shouts its presence to the world."
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

alball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by alball »

I just finished building a d15 indian river skiff and I wish I had taken greater care with the details. I think precoating is a great idea, particularly on surfaces which will be interior surfaces. I found coating or painting the interior of the boat back breaking work.

I also think masking the fillets is a good idea...just make sure to pull the tape before the fillets thicken. I think my fillets would have been much neater if I had done this.

If this kind of craftsmanship is important to you then its important. I am looking forward to winter time to adress some areas in my d15 which I am just not happy with.

I have been very impresed with some of the craftsman ship I have seen in pictures in the gallery. I was admiring the work of WobblyLegs C17. sweet!

al

JasonMN
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JasonMN »

It's ready for fillets. I got to excited and ended up taping it all together without pre-coating the panels liek I planned. I was anxious to see her take shape. I still plan on using masking tape though to get a clean fillet line since I want a bright finish on the interior.

Many more pictures in my gallery if anyones interested.

alball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by alball »

looks good! It is exciting to see the boat take shape from the flat pieces, eh?

JasonMN
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JasonMN »

Okay. The fillets and inside taping are done. The masking tape worked great for my fillets. They left a really clean line. My fiberglass tape is a little wavy however and i tried to get it as straight as possible. Hopefully additional epoxy and sanding will hide the lines somewhat. One problem I ran in to was mixing sufficient amounts of fillet material. I had to make like 3 or 4 batches. I'll know in the future how much it takes I guess and it will go much faster.

Next Steps:
- Sand outside chine to 3/8" radius
- Fill Gaps with fillet material
- Lay the glass

I'll post some picture updates later tonight.

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

blcapt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by blcapt »

So are you advising to sand the interior after the butt blocks are harden and before the temporary stich?
Thanks