CX19 progress updates Perth WA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gerry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

CX19 progress updates Perth WA

Post by gerry »

Hi, I have been browsing these forums for most of this year in preparation to find the right boat to build and the posts have been extremely helpful in my final decision on the CX19 and now have finally started to build it.

I am also still completing my canoe as a practice boat and have begun to fair and paint the hull, will post more pics soon. This has been the best advice before even attempting to build a larger boat if it will be your first. I have learnt so much and now have most of the tools I will need.

In getting ready for the warmer weather I have started on the CX19 jig and stringers. I have to build it outside so this will be a challenge with the weather but have slowly put together a plan to get around it.

The base of the jig is now complete and raised up on saw horses has become a very convenient workbench. It is the right length and height to cut and make the stringers, the side and bottom panels, so this will be my focus over the next two months. Then I will start adding each station to the jig and hopefully have all the panels stitched and glued before winter sets in again here.

I have to mark and cut all the wood first and am only buying the wood as I reach each step in the project. I have decided to use Austral Marine Grade Pine Ply which has been great to work with so far and BoteCote Resin.

So hopefully I can offer information and pictures to others here as I progress!

Cheers Gerard.

CX19

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Hi Gerry,

Welcome to the forum - it's good to see another Aussie builder here!

Don't forget to post plenty of pics as you go - we'll be watching for them.

Mike
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

breammaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by breammaster »

Hi Gerry,

I'm building an XF20 in Bunbury, about 2 hours south of you. If you need any help, give me a yell.

Warren
Pity the man who pays twice as much, for an inferi

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Hi Gerry,
Just read your message on the cx19. I live in Albany WA, and have been looking at plans for about 6 months and have just about convinced the missus that i should have a go at the tw28! I have done some research on diferent types of marine ply and was interested to know where you got your supplies. I have some expierience with fibre glass and epoxy (shaped and built a few surf boards 20 years ago) and have read the tutorias on this site, can you provide me with the name of a good supplier in Perth?
Anyway just at the last leg of winning the wife over on the project and hope to be working by aug/sept, lots of coast line down here and would like to be in the water by summer 2007!!!
Hope things are going well with your curent project.
Cheers

Richard

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

Congratulations on your build!

I won't tell you how long I stared at Perth WA trying to figure out where Perth was in Washington State... :oops:

Make sure to give us lots of pictures.

gerry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gerry »

Back again! Progress has been a little slow, I may have to shift house but will see how I go!

The supplier of the plywood and timber I am using is "Morgan Timber & Plywood" in Bibra Lake ( 9494 1466 ). They have Austral Hoop Pine Marine Grade Plywood at a good price. I like the colour and it is easy to mark, cut and work with. I am using boat-cote resin and fiberglass from "Boating Hardware Prosail" in O'Connor ( 9337 9900 ).

The TW28 is a nice boat, I have been watching Macca's progress, it is going very nice when finished. Hopefully, I will get going again very soon and will be posting pictures as I go. I have yet to see a finished CX19 in the water so am eager to start again. I have been fishing more lately so it has been good to have a little break from boat building..

'till next time, from Perth in Western Australia!!

gerry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gerry »

Well, I ended up shifting house, but now there is enough room to build it inside a dry workshop.

All the wood required to finish the jig and the plywood for each of the frames including the transom has been purchased. But, I still need to buy the hardwood for the engine bracket. I still need to decide on the type of wood? Will need do more research later.

I can finally start marking out the frame members this weekend.
Will keep posting my progress with pictures as I go, it is great to be on track again!!

Gerry

JTBear67
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JTBear67 »

I am going to build the CX-19 also, well have to exchange pics and questions..

:)

gerry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gerry »

Hi JTBear, good to hear someone else is tackling this project too.

It is definitley going slow at the moment but should make some progress now it has a new home!

I marked and cut the transom, frame C and E on the weekend. I have assembled them on the jig to get an idea of the size. It is a 20' x 20' shed and fits on an angle with enough clearance all round. Will need to be tilted slightly to get out the door though! But beats working outside.

I have added some progess pictures of the jig and frames, but will need to take apart again to glue stringers.

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Hi Gerry,

Looks like you're doing nice work!

Just a question though - have you finished cutting the notches in your stringers/frames? I only ask as the bottom of the stringers should be flush with the bottom of the frames (but if you're only doing a dry fit only here all is OK).

Regards,

Tim.