Hunch's XF20 Launched

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Hunch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Hunch's XF20 Launched

Post by Hunch »

After 2 1/2 years my xf is ready for the water. I posted a few pics of her on the trailer. Hopefully I will get some decent shots of her on the water.

Everyone who has seen this boat is awestruck on the design. She looks like she will float on air.

News at 11
Last edited by Hunch on Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Randy »

Looks sweet.

Plently of hatchs, is one of them a built-in live well?

You might get airborne withthat V-4 on the back of such a light boat, after seeing one running with a 35hp jet. No body will beat you to your favorite fishing hole.
Randy

gpratt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by gpratt »

Good news Hunch! Looking forward to the report.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

HUTCH,
Man really sweet looking boat. That topcoat should be very easy on your eyes, mine was just about the same color and stayed cool to the touch on the hottest of days.

On a sep note, would you have a picture of your braces under the gunwhales or a discription. Mine are going to be 10" or so and I have yet to figure out that part. Thanks for any help.

CONGRATS AGAIN!

Hunch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Hunch »

Launched the old xf and christened her "Runamuck"

That 110 Jonnyrude is more than enuf power but between the 300 pound motor and the 65 pound Detwiller she still floats in 3" of water but without my fat ass in it and with the 35 live well empty.

She handles more like an air boat even with the keelson and 4 full length runners bolted to the bottom. Slippery as hell and windage at slow speeds coming to the docks is tricky.

The tunnel is raising a good size hump and is working fine.
I would say it is properly designed and proportioned right.

The Detwiller jack plate is an absolute failure. The lower cross bar catches the hump of water coming out of the tunnel when lowered all the way down. This cross bar at the lowest point rides about a inch or so above the tunnel. Forget about a good hole shot.

With the plate raised about 2" there seems to be clean water under the plate but it will cavitate badly above 4800 rpm. At 4800 my best guess at speed is 25+ A larger, deeper and cupped prop is in order. She should top out at 35+

She also cavitates in a turn at speed.

The water pressure is fine with the plate raised the full 6"

So I need to re-think this jack plate. I may attach a baffle that extends from under the plates bottom cross bar to the transom. This may prevent the leading edge from diggin into the hump.

The bar is the silver plate to the lower right of image.

If jury rigging the plate don't work its back to the drawing board. Perhaps a Bob's jack plate is in my future. The Detwiller is built like a tank and rated to 300 hp but it's not meant for tunnel boats.

The hull is a absolute dream to fish. Stable as rock. A very very dry ride. A little hull slap but not too bad. Jumped a few power boat wakes and she handled them well. I'm anxious to see how she will handle a steep chop in the bay when it kicks up. Should be a fine boat for Florida Bay once I iron out the prop and cavitation problems.

Posted a cpl more pics on the gallery

All in all it was a good sea trial and a good day

Tight lines.

Hunch
Last edited by Hunch on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hunch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Hunch »

FLYonWALL9 wrote: On a sep note, would you have a picture of your braces under the gunwhales or a discription. Mine are going to be 10" or so and I have yet to figure out that part. Thanks for any help.

CONGRATS AGAIN!
The side gunwales braces are made up from 3/4" 1 1/4" mahogany on 12" centers. butt jointed, screwed and epoxied to a 3/8" x 1 1/2" white oak sheer clamp and 3/4" x 4" mahogany rail. Covered with 3/8" AC plywood and 8 OZ cloth as are all the decks. Epoxy coats all the plywood inside and out.

That top coat is Benjamin Moore Iron Clad. Oil base satin exterior enamel.

Good old metal paint has worked for me on all my fishun' scows.
Last edited by Hunch on Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Congratulations, Hunch - that is a really classy piece of work! You will be the envy of many a fisherman trying to stay steady in a less stable boat.
Mike
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

roob76
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by roob76 »

congrats on the boat man! she is a beauty!
Should be a fine boat for Florida Bay
poor fishies :( you are gonna be terrorizing them florida bay reds!

by the way isn't that shot next to the dock in your gallery taken at gilberts in jewfish creek? i fish that area very often especially at night for snook!

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Great Job!

Some detail shots? And of course the pictures of some of the first catches to round out the thread! :)

ks

Hunch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Hunch »

roob76 wrote:congrats on the boat man! she is a beauty!
Should be a fine boat for Florida Bay
poor fishies :( you are gonna be terrorizing them florida bay reds!

by the way isn't that shot next to the dock in your gallery taken at gilberts in jewfish creek? i fish that area very often especially at night for snook!

YUp that's Gilbert's nasty ass ramp and dock. I used it to get to Lake Surprise to wring out the boat in calm waters.

You got a good eye.

Headin to Flamingo and Whitewater Bay tomorrow for some snook and trout. Hope I don't run outa gas. This thing is a pig.

News at eleven.