GV10 build and introduction

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GV10 build and introduction

Post by piperdown »

Grandbassslayer wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:32 am Correct I just used straight 2 to 1 epoxy, I feel like a dope now…lol. Guys I appreciate the help. So epoxy is just for use with glass, joining materials will always be a thickened epoxy such as gel magic. I will break it down, file, use gel magic, then lay 2 overlapping pieces of tape over the joint.
You don't really need to overlap pieces of tape. One 6 inch wide over the puzzle joint will be plenty strong after you re-glue it. Heck, even one 4 inch wide would work.

You also use neat epoxy for sealing wood or precoating so the wood doesn't suck the epoxy out of you mix when you are laying glass.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Grandbassslayer wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:32 am Correct I just used straight 2 to 1 epoxy, I feel like a dope now…lol. Guys I appreciate the help. So epoxy is just for use with glass, joining materials will always be a thickened epoxy such as gel magic. I will break it down, file, use gel magic, then lay 2 overlapping pieces of tape over the joint.
Easy mistake to make, easy one to fix. You've got plenty of dope-feeling left, don't worry.

Try using small zip-lock bags like a pastry bag for applying a bead of gel-magic where you need it, works great and is much neater than trying to apply with a knife etc. Syringes work great too but for really small jobs, there's a lot of cleaning overhead. I use a metal mug to hold the bag open, spoon in the mixed gel-magic, then cut a hole in the corner for the bead size i want and start squirting.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Grandbassslayer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grandbassslayer »

Got the 1st 6” wide tape down on all 4 sides, layer plastic wrap on them and weights. Will flip tomorrow, do the other side and get the boat back together. Any opinions on routing or sanding all the exterior edges? I don’t want sharp exterior corners, especially where the free board ties into the transom.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

If it fits the angle a router is nice to use but it will not take very long with a sander either.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

I use an angle grinder with 50 or 36 grit sanding disc (or 24 if you are brave)

Rounded corners are required anyway to help the fiberglass tape go around the corners
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Heavy grit, light hand.

Grandbassslayer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I practiced on some scrap and have my router set nice, should work well.
Thanks guys.

Grandbassslayer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I took a belt sander to all the seams after I had all the zip ties pulled out, helped clean up all the seams and put nice rounded corners on them. I got all the exterior joints glasses with the 6” tape, good thing I got the slow hardener, still had one section that got away from me a little bit but nothiI can’t make work. Anyone thin the resin with alcohol before applying to boat? I saw a guy on YouTube do that and he said it helped a lot but I have not tried it. Pics to follow later tonight.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Do not thin epoxy! For epoxy to work right the mix ratio needs to be correct.

Grandbassslayer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I was just tossing out ideas for when you do large areas. It would still be a 2:1 mix, then add the alcohol, he said it evaporates out after it’s later out. I dunno the channel is called “tips from a shipwrights” and he looks like an old school do it the right way kinda guy. Just curious if that was normal or not.

Thanks