FL-12 Bottom Butt Block

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jess
New Poster
New Poster

FL-12 Bottom Butt Block

Post by Jess »

How do I know when to install the bottom butt block and how do I make sure it is positioned correctly?

Thanks,
Jess

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FL-12 Bottom Butt Block

Post by jacquesmm »

You need to assemble the two pieces, you have no choice.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jess
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Jess »

I understand I need to assemble the pieces.... that wasn't my question. My question is; how do I ensure the bottom butt block will be covered by the seat? How do I know exactly where to place it?

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Glue the butt block right down the middle of the seam. The seat frames should fall right in place, or be close enough that a little trimming on the frame will make it fit. :wink:
CC, D15, V10

Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Steve_MA »

Jess wrote:I understand I need to assemble the pieces.... that wasn't my question. My question is; how do I ensure the bottom butt block will be covered by the seat? How do I know exactly where to place it?
I get it....the butt block isn't between the seats in the FL14 and I had to deal with those exposed edges. :wink:

Definitely center it over the seam. Look at the spacing of the seat frames. If the distance between them is 12 inches, don't make your butt block 16" wide or it will never fit! Make it 8", give yourself some margin. I don't know what the numbers are, but I wouldn't want to have to trim it after its glued on.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

even 6" will do for a butt block unless the plans say otherwise (for stiffness). Many panels on these boats are assembled with only a 6" piece of fiberglass tape.

If it's in an exposed location , it's nice to bevel the edges before glueing it to the panels, to make epoxy and painting easier and to make it look a little better.