fl12 ply thickness goof

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

fl12 ply thickness goof

Post by thb »

I just realized while cutting all the frames out this morning that I had a lot more 3/8 than I needed based on the nesting diagram. I then realize I made the sides out of 3/8 Meranti 6566 rather than 1/4 inch Meranti. OOPS. They are exact mirrors of each other after glue up so at least that was good. Can't see any big problem with leaving it this way other than it will be heavier than it needs to be.

Does anyone have an idea of the weight penalty from this goof up? As i was going to use it as a rowboat in my backyard lake, the weight penalty doesn't bother me too much.

Also can anyone see any issues with stitching it together with these thicker sides. Butt blocks are all 3/8 as well.

This is my first stitch and glue boat so I am sure there might be more errors but this one bugs me as I can't believe I did this. I built another ply boat this summer from Gator Boat plans ( Columbia, S.C.). It was a 12 ft dragonfly with 1/4 ply over frames. Maybe if I get these errors out of the way in my first SG boat, I will not have any issues with the XF20 when I build it.

Tom in Steinhatchee.

Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: fl12 ply thickness goof

Post by Steve_MA »

Its not much ..you can look at the weights on the BB ply site...a sheet of 3/8 is 12 lbs more than 1/4. Build on !

Charlie
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Charlie »

The sides will be definitely more difficult to bend. I don't know if it will cause you much difficulty because I have never been in that position.

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Steve,
Thanks for your reply. I already looked at ply weights and figure the amount used on the sides and butt blocks probably amounts to 2/3 of the total of 2 sheets so weight penalty somewhere around 16 to 18 lbs. Not a biggy as you point out. Build ON. I will attach the cleats today which I am making out of some honduran mahogany which I horse traded from a local master door builder's scrap cut/ off pile. I know overkill but at least it will have same rot resistance as meranti ply.

Charlie,
Thanks for your reply also. I hope the sides bend OK. If not I will remake them out of 1/4 inch. Will keep you all posted.

thanks again.

Tom in Steinhatchee :D

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Charlie,
The thicker 3/8 sides are harder to bend especially up front near the bow seat. Have made things work by reducing some of the camber in bow seat.

Also decided to shape the center seat side cleats to have them angled to match up to the curvature of the sides. It seems like this would be a good thing to do even if I had used the specified 1/4 inch sides as the cleats now have better contact surface with the sides without such a hard point contact along one edge of the cleat.

Thanks again
Tom in steinhatchee :D

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

I angled some of the cleats on my last build. I don't think it matters as far as structure, but you use less epoxy since you don't have to fill the little trough made by that angle.
CC, D15, V10

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I bevel most of my cleats too. Doing otherwise sure uses a lot more epoxy, and I use more than enough epoxy already :help:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose