Upcoming HC14 - Plan questions

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Madgar

Re: Upcoming HC14 - Plan questions

Post by Madgar »

Hey Dan, I really appreciate the encouragement and tips. I really look forward to beginning and I read this forum every night. Unfortunately, my wife has been hospitalized since I orinally posted so I will be delayed. Each night for the past 6 weeks, while sitting in the hospital with her, I read all these other builds. Very talented people here and even more giving and helpful with their knowledge.

I have a question for you, what's the fiberglass roller? Is that just the small tool I see others use to smooth out their glass? Also, is your build documented on here? If so I am sure I've read it.

One problem I am having before I even begin is acquiring some good marine ply. I can't get any of the local lumber yards or the local lowes and 84 lumber to give me a cost for okoume or meranti. All they keep telling me is that it has to be special ordered. I don't mind that, just want them to give me a price.

Take care and thank you..

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Hey Madgar,
You will never regret having a laminating roller along with your other glass tools. They sell them here and the price is right. As for the plywood....................do not skimp on it. The wood is the backbone of the build and the one thing you really can not replace or upgrade. Give the folks here a call and see if the cost works out. At least you will know you are getting good wood. I had them check shipping for me and I was shocked to learn they were very cost completive even with shipping to Alaska. If I lived in one of the "little" states I am sure all my wood would come from them.

Madgar

Post by Madgar »

Thanks for the input Fuzz, I'll definitely look at the tools offered here. I have looked at the lumber and if/when I were building a larger boat there's no doubt I would get my lumber here but with only needing a few sheets, shipping is rough. Still may do it though. I can, however, drive about 2 hours north and get the lumber. It's more expensive than here but no shipping. If I needed 12+ sheets, it would be a no brainier. I'll figure that part out once I get my bride fixed up :D
Thanks

Madgar

Post by Madgar »

As I am hopefully getting closer to beginning my canoe project (pending my wife's health improving) I have been going through the process of determining the materials I need. When looking at the website to order the marine epoxy kit for this build, one option is to choose system 3 kit over the marine epoxy kit. Can someone tell me what is included in the system 3 kit as the link to describe it appears not to work. Is it the same kit, just different epoxy or does it include the ez-fillet with it? Thanks for any help

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Madgar, Good afternoon and I can certainly help you with the kits. As the kits are so small for the HC14, we have just never had request for the System Three Silver Tip Kit for this build. Please let me know today or later this evening here on the Forum and I will have a HC14 SilverTip Kit put together for you and on the site tomorrow morning. The only real change will be the wood flour in the MarinEpoxy kit would be exchanged for ST EZ Fillet or 1.5 Qt Gel Magic kit. I will ask Reid or Jamie to work that out if you want us too!! Thank you and I do hope your wife's health is improving!! Jeff

Madgar

Post by Madgar »

Thanks so much for the quick response. The reason I asked is because on the site its $40 more for the S3 kit instead of standard kit. I figured if that included the ez fillet it would probably be worth the additional $40. also how much ez fillet would I need?

Again, thanks for help and also for your kind words for my wife. :D

Btw, one kit or another, I will be ordering the epoxy, tape and other needs from you guys soon. Obviously not enough wood needed to make shipping worth it or else I'd get that from you too :)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Madgar, I will get back to you in the morning. Reid and Jamie understand the make-up of the kits (& why each product is included) much better than I!! I will respond back!! Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Xxxxx

Madgar

Post by Madgar »

Great, thanks

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Madgar,

The HC14 epoxy kits are no different from the NC16 epoxy kit. If you would like the silvertip kit for that boat you could even simply use this this product to make your order. I'll most likely be adding the HC Series canoe kits as a silvertip kit this afternoon.

EDIT: HC14_ST created