Narfi's HC14 build thread - LAUNCHED

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Narfi's HC14

Post by narfi »

I think I'm close Tom..... 7' in the shade outside you can just see the bottom of it in the picture. And 5.5' inside.
20170722_174407.jpg
20170722_174717.jpg
20170722_174914.jpg

You guys might not think it's much but I'm dying here!!!!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Down here we look at that temp, steal a neighbor's boat or dock and see what's biting. Unless you are Eric. Then you sand anyway ;)

You can work in those temps. The key is small. Small batches. Small area at a time. Pre measure resin and hardener into little batches. Set the unmixed measured amounts close to where you are working. Mix, pour, spread quickly. Small batches means only focus on what's right there. Repeat until you're done. I think you have the pumps so you might be able to avoid the premeasure.

Or work at night when it's cooler. That is why you have those lights isn't it? ;)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Narfi if you get the 4oz down good it will be just as smooth as whats under it. I like putting on a little fairing compound while it is still green. This will save you one round of sanding :D If you are mixing your own fairing compound I like it pretty loose for the first round. Loose fills in the weave and low spots pretty well and will do a little self levelling on the level areas. You are not trying to make it perfect the first round just getting rid of some of the big uglies :lol:

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Started around 10pm and finished just after midnight.
Me, wife and a friend of hers. (Landon did a little brushing and a lot of supervising)

I'm not sure batch sizes but was doing 4 pumps of epoxy and 2 pumps of medium hardner per batch and 2 and 1 for half batches.

Tapes were all pre cut and held in place with packing tape (seems I need to get some masking tape comming)

I've they were on we rolled out the 4oz roll and cut it in place. Probably messed too much with getting it oriented just right I realized that the rub rails gave me that 1.5 inch on the edges I didn't need perfection.......

Used brushes for the resin on the tapes and most of the 4oz was applied with the Bondo scrapper which worked really well then brushes working out bubbles and more scraping.

I'm really happy with It, it looks great to my untrained eyes.
There were a few spots with bubbles between the tapes and 4oz that I couldn't get worked out. Not sure how bad that is........ I know you don't want them but don't have any experience to judge them by.

Plan if I wake up before it's too hot in the morning I'll put on a nice coat of filler then tomorow night if it's a scorcher like today it will be ready for sanding.
20170722_215539.jpg
20170722_231427.jpg
20170723_004446.jpg
20170723_004619.jpg
20170723_001426.jpg
20170723_004338.jpg

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Y'all did good! :D

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

That looks great. Those bubbles are probably small enough that I wouldn't worry about them, but if they're only between the tape and the cloth you could just trim them out and fill them.

I do see one potential problem though. It looks like you may have just glued the canoe to your support blocks. I don't see any tape or plastic on them.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

The supports aren't structural?

I left those uncovered for fuzz.

I wanted an excuse to use my new multitool.

I thought with cool nights they would still be soft enough to cut them off in the morning with a Razer.

Honestly? I'm an idiot.

Maybe lazy?

For sure I have a bad memory.......

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Looking good and you are flying through this build!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Narfi, nice work and cool temps!!! I think there are a few of us that would love to exchange our temps!!! Nice work on the HC14!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

narfi wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:51 am I wanted an excuse to use my new multitool.
He talked you into an S. O. B. tool?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.