Narfi's HC14 build thread - LAUNCHED

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Narfi's HC14

Post by narfi »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:30 am Looks like the bow edge may be cut backwards but I can't tell. There's no splice in the next photos.

Only other thing that looks odd it the alignment for a few stitches.
Hehe nope. Try again....

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

You drilled holes in the top of the panels that nothing gets stitched to. 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

8O :? :roll: :lol:
Tony

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

cape man wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:27 am You drilled holes in the top of the panels that nothing gets stitched to. 8)
Ding ding ding!!!
We have a winner :)

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Another good picture I missed last night.
20170714_204938.jpg

I'll think more about the sequence of events for screwing the molds in with 2bys

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Well you have some handy pre-made holes to use along the shear line :lol:

cape man

Post by cape man »

What do I get with 5 pts?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by bigyellowtractor »

cape man wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:27 am You drilled holes in the top of the panels that nothing gets stitched to. 8)
I saw that but guessed you must have drilled them so that the glue holding the rub-rail on gets a really good mechanical key :D

After work today I reduced the camber of the chine on mold "A" and managed to get the ply to take a nice curve just with a cam strap.

Won't get any more done before mid-week. You'll be paddling before I'm assembled, I think 8)

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Spent an unbelievable amount of time getting the molds in and panels aligned to my satisfaction.

Used nails between the zip ties to get a good gap.
Used 2bys on the molds to secure them. Took a lot of work on the A molds but like mentioned elsewhere "It ain't going to the moon!"
Used duct tape to pull the outside ends of the nails up or down in areas the panels weren't lining up. Then taped between everything on the outside.
Spent so much time fighting the the molds I forgot to tape them :/

Landon had fun playing with the zip ties I was cutting off that were too tight and needed replacing.

Mixed up epoxy and wood flour. I've read peanut butter consistency and I think I was more of a peanut butter mixed with honey consistency...... If I got a huge glob on the mixing stick it could drip off but the amount I needed between zip ties and nails stayed on even inverted.

Didn't get done till 12:15 And while light enough to see outside it was really dim in the tent and in the "compartment" holes between molds.

I ended up using Landon's little play lantern I set in each bay as I glued those seams.

4 pumps of resin and 2 of hardner with 6 huge heaped high plastic spoons of flour got all the chine seams done. I applied it with the end of the mixing stick then took the radiused end of a rubber Bondo scrapper thing to clean it up.

Another 4 and 2 pumps almost finished the side seams and finished it off with a 2 and 1 that finishes the last bay of the side seams and then with a glove and finger put a bunch up inside the bow corners. (That is a tight area and will be interesting trying to glass.....)
20170715_222958.jpg
20170715_222929.jpg
20170715_222958.jpg
20170715_223548.jpg

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by bigyellowtractor »

Good job Narfi.

Re access to the bow / stern for glassing, the building notes suggest completing the bottom panel to chine seems before fitting the upper panels. I don't think I'll do that just so I have more chance of aligning things but I'd already decided to fillet and glass the pointy ends while access is easier.

I think you have discovered what I have come to realise; a bigger boat might be easier as a first build 8O