Page 1 of 1

Sk 14 SSI Ga

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:41 am
by Edd
I have a couple questions about frame placement and notch depth. First, is frame A set at very front of the stringers? The others set at 36in spacing? For the notch depth, do just take a measurement at the 36in marks on the stringer, and subtract one inch ?

One more question. On the bottom panel. Is the front 7" measurement from the base line?

Re: Sk 14 SSI Ga

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:51 am
by jacquesmm
Yes, that's it.
It is just like the plans show, look at the stringer dimensions: starting from the transom, there is a frame every 36".
The stringers stop just at the last frame forward.
The same drawing also shows the notch as 1" deep.

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:48 pm
by Edd
Progress.

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:49 pm
by Browndog
Welcome to the board and congratulations on your build. Looks like it is shaping up nicely and also quickly. I am just up the road from you and get down your way at least once or twice a month. If you need help with anything or have a question about something please let me know and Iโ€™d be glad to help if I can.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:12 am
by Edd
Browndog wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:49 pm Welcome to the board and congratulations on your build. Looks like it is shaping up nicely and also quickly. I am just up the road from you and get down your way at least once or twice a month. If you need help with anything or have a question about something please let me know and Iโ€™d be glad to help if I can.
Alright thanks. I'm hoping to have it pretty much finished in a couple weeks.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:22 am
by Browndog
You are on a good and fast timetable. When you get to the fairing and sanding, priming and painting part things might slow down a bit. If you run into anything you are not familiar with, help is available.

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:57 am
by Edd
I'm planning on adding the foam tomorrow night. Any suggestions on technique?

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:49 am
by Dougster
The warmer the temp the better expansion you get from the foam. Start with small batches, stir fast and dump it. You have 20 seconds or so. Give it plenty of time to rise and cut the tops off the next day. Makes a mess but vacs up easily. Sticks to everything forever when it's wet.

Dougster

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:51 am
by Jeff
Dougster, Really good guidance on the foam!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:45 pm
by Edd
Added foam yesterday. I believe I got 8 cubic feet of expansion, but I ordered more foam. I'd like to try and get everything below the sole completely full.

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:27 am
by Dougster
Same thing on my SK14, I ordered some more foam to fill in completely beneath the sole. I like how solid it makes it feel and you will too. You're going good, keep up with the pics :D How do you intend to power her? I put a trolling motor on the nose with a detachable mount.

Dougster

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:33 am
by Edd
Tohatsu 9.9 at minimum....

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:29 pm
by Dougster
Wow, I think you will fly! I've been looking at the new Tohatsu 5hp propane model. I tend to let engines sit and then have fuel problems. I can't find any testimony on the new models yet online though. No rush.

Dougster

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:21 pm
by Edd
I added more foam today. Got it pretty full. It should float. The white wire is for running lights, and the black is the transducer cable . I wanted to run the wiring under the floor.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:40 am
by Jeff
Nice work Edd!! She will certainly float!! Happy holidays, Jeff

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:22 am
by Dougster
Looks familiar. She'll be tight as a drum with the sole on and float like a bobber. I didn't run wire underneath the sole but kinda wish I had.

Dougster

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:23 am
by Jaysen
did you happen to weigh the hull before and after foam?

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:37 am
by jacquesmm
Each 2 gallon kit is about 16 lbs. I guess he has 20 lbs of foam in there.
3 or 4 times what is needed for full buoyancy but the hull will be very strong and stiff.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:00 pm
by Edd
Its a bit extra foam than what's needed, I think it should be about 20-30lbs of foam.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:50 pm
by Edd
Do any of you guys who have set up a trailer for the sk14 recall how far apart you spaced the bunks? I got mine set at 2ft in the rear and about 2ft 6in in the front. I also raised the front 2 1/2 in. I plan on adding something else to support the bow. The weather has slowed my progress a little.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:09 am
by Jeff
Edd, really nice looking build photos of your SK14!! Very clean!! Regarding your trailer question, reach out to SeaSlug as he set-up a trailer for his SK14 and it would appear the trailer was made around his SK!! Again, nice build!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:21 am
by Edd
Thanks Jeff I'll do that. I've got an epoxy question. I did the glassing on the bottom yesterday. It's still a little tacky. Is it ok to go ahead and put the grafite epoxy mix on the bottom? Or should I wait until it cures and light sand? I know it's recommended working wet on wet, but didn't know if wet on tacky is ok.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:29 am
by Dougster
Edd---I think you're ok with graphite on tacky epoxy so long as you're using the same epoxy in the graphite mix as the tacky stuff. Might make application odd though, sticking to the roller or something. Anyway, re the trailer, I used one from academy, a McClain that works very well. The bunks are spaced to line up with the stringers, but I forget what that measurement is.

Dougster

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:32 am
by pee wee
When applying the epoxy/graphite, the warmer it is the better it flows out.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:35 pm
by Browndog
Edd,

It is going to warm up over the next couple of days. If you are able to wait, like Hank said try to do the graphite when it is warmer. It flows a lot better, levels out easier and gives you a better finish with less materials used. Looking good so far. Keep it up.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:18 pm
by Edd
Ok thanks everybody for the advice. I made an enclosure with plastic drop cloth and pvc ( I will use the pvc for making a blind so it won't be wasted) . Yesterday I was able to keep it 60+ with a heater inside, but today it's too windy. I actually tried a earlier this week, but the wind was too much. I'll wait to continue until it warms up. I'll definitely wait until I have a garage or shop before I build another boat. Maybe building a workshop should be my next project...

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:11 am
by Browndog
Edd,

You gotta be liking the warmer weather these last few days. It sure has been a cold winter on the Georgia Coast. Went sheephead fishing Saturday and nothing biting inshore. Decent numbers being caught at the nearshore reefs with good amounts of Black Sea bass too.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:26 am
by Edd
Browndog wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:11 am Edd,

You gotta be liking the warmer weather these last few days. It sure has been a cold winter on the Georgia Coast. Went sheephead fishing Saturday and nothing biting inshore. Decent numbers being caught at the nearshore reefs with good amounts of Black Sea bass too.
Thanks for the report. My fishing buddy has a new 23ft sportsman cc that we need to put to use. It's time for a test run though ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

I'm almost done. Just some sanding, painting, etc

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:27 am
by Edd

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:53 am
by Dougster
Looks great to me. I'm looking forward to hearing how she runs with that motor.

Dougster

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:52 am
by Jeff
EDD, tell me again what sine HP is that motor? Jeff

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:00 am
by Jaysen
Jeff wrote: โ†‘Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:52 am EDD, tell me again what sine HP is that motor? Jeff
Photo says it's a 9.8

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:03 am
by Jeff
Thanks Jaysen!! I could not read it!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:12 am
by Jaysen
Jeff wrote: โ†‘Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:03 am Thanks Jaysen!! I could not read it!! Jeff
I had to click on the photo then enlarge it in the browser. My eyes are too old for those little pixels these days.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:16 am
by Browndog
Very cool looking ride you got there!

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:46 am
by Edd
I finally got around to priming and painting the top side. And cut out the scupper hole too.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:45 am
by Jeff
Edd, looks good!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:38 pm
by Browndog
Sweet. Looks mighty good!

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:50 pm
by Edd
I'm 99.9999% done. I just need to finish some wiring and mount the rear light.

I tested it out today with the 9.8hp in the wind and chop and I was able to run a consistent 18.6mph. I thought I might be able to go faster, but I guess my beefing it up has something to do with it (extra foam and framing triple layer backer and knees, "heavy duty" glassing etc). I haven't weighed the hull, but when flipping it for painting it was easy for me and my neighbor. But it is very rigid. I did have the gas tank full and the cooler full of water in order to see what it would do loaded, and I'm about 220lb. It planes off very quickly though and when idling you can turn it on a dime. It ran really good through the chop too. It didn't doesn't spray water either. Its surprisingly stable too. It's really easy to step in and out of when you are in about 1-2 feet of water. It performs better than I was expecting really.

I enjoyed this project. I was way off on how long I told my wife it would take๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป I'm read to put it to use.

I did want to share something I discovered. the interstate battery store sells small, like 5-10lb small deep cycle batteries. I found them a while back while working on a different project. I bought one for this boat to run the lights and fish finder. It will be housed in the orange dry box. It's actually got enough powe to start the tohatsu that's on the boat; it's a manual and electric start.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:24 am
by Browndog
Turned out really well. Looks great navigating the twisty creeks we have around here. Well done!

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:35 am
by Jeff
EDD, nice job on the SK and good performance as well!! Great photos, do you mind if I use a few on them on the website? Jeff

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:11 am
by Edd
Jeff wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:35 am EDD, nice job on the SK and good performance as well!! Great photos, do you mind if I use a few on them on the website? Jeff
Thanks Sure go ahead ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:16 am
by Edd
Jeff wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:35 am EDD, nice job on the SK and good performance as well!! Great photos, do you mind if I use a few on them on the website? Jeff
Just not the messy carport ones haha!

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:17 am
by Jeff
EDD, Got it and thank you!! Again, nice performance!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:20 pm
by PapaDave
Nice looking boat.
Dave

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:11 pm
by mucduc
Hey Edd

It's cool to see someone building the SK14 in this area. I actually work on Jekyll. I'll actually be there tomorrow. I bought my plans about 2 years ago and finally hoping to start the build soon.

Where did you source the materials? I've called around, but haven't had much luck for wood. I've also considered driving down to Vero Beach to pick up the wood since it's only a few hours away.

Great looking boat.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:43 am
by pee wee
mucduc wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:11 pm Where did you source the materials? I've called around, but haven't had much luck for wood. I've also considered driving down to Vero Beach to pick up the wood since it's only a few hours away.
I live in the area and have looked for local sources, all I found was marine fir plywood. I also considered driving down to Vero, it's about a four hour drive each way. Before you do that give them a call and get a quote to ship to the nearest trucking terminal.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:45 pm
by mucduc
yeah that was what i was able to find too. A place in Jax and Savannah. I dont think either place had anything less that 1/2" thou maybe 3/8", but it has been 2 years since i have looked. I just looked on the plywood.boatbuilder to see the shipping from Vero Beach and for 6 sheets it was $130 freight terminal, $140 commercial, and $230 residential. Then another $40-$70 for shipping for other materials, more if I add a few more things.

So Im thinking it would be better to just make a trip out of it and drive down there.

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:23 pm
by Jeromesfs14ls
Very nice work, looks more stable than I had thought that size would be.

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:18 am
by Dougster
Edd, I have the Sk14 with just a trolling motor on the nose and am considering an outboard. I was leaning toward just 5hp but now wonder if that will plane the boat, given your 9.8 horses seem not too much. Yours looks very nice and does seem quite stable as set up. Any thoughts on the 5hp?

Dougster

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:57 pm
by Edd
Hey sorry I havenโ€™t been on here in a while. I got my glass and epoxy from RAKA.com. Highly recommend them. Their epoxy is great to work with and great customer service. Plus Iโ€™ve used them for glass n epoxy for three different piroques ive built. I got 3 sheets of 1/4 in marine ply from langโ€™s building supply in Brunswick. I got the rest from southern plywood, I think is the name, in Jacksonville Florida. This is actually who supplies the marine plywood to langs and youโ€™ll save about $20-25 dollars a sheet if you make the drive to jacksonville.

Depending on how heavy your boat is the 5hp will probably work great. I built mine heavy duty. I wanted it to be as close to unsinkable/breakable as possible. In case I hit oysters or take big swells from another boat or whatever. So, I think my finish weight is closer to the 180lb mark. The 9.8hp pushes it about 20mph. I would feel comfortable with a lighter 15hp 4 stroke myself but I know thatโ€™s not advised. Itโ€™s planes of instantly with the 9.8. It runs well with 2 adults too. It was very stable shooting marshhen by myself and with a buddy.

Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:55 pm
by Edd
Flounder gigging with the sk14

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:29 am
by pee wee
Wow! That's a nice one!

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:03 am
by Browndog
Love to see stuff from the Georgia builders on the site!

We might have to have a a little get together of Georgia Builders some time.

That flounder is a doormat!

I like your light rig for gigging that you fabricated for the SK 14.

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:59 pm
by Fuzz
That flounder sure looks like a pacific halibut. You guys gig them in shallow water and I fish in 100-300 foot for them.

Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:12 am
by Edd
Browndog wrote: โ†‘Sat May 15, 2021 6:03 am Love to see stuff from the Georgia builders on the site!

We might have to have a a little get together of Georgia Builders some time.

That flounder is a doormat!

I like your light rig for gigging that you fabricated for the SK 14.

The boat is perfect for one person , floats in nothing ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป