Corsair 13 in Metairie LA

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jarret.brashear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Corsair 13 in Metairie LA

Post by Jarret.brashear »

Started building corsair 13. Cut out all the pieces. Noticed there are two pieces for the transom. I assume (hope) these were supposed to be glued together face to face to form a thicker piece? Not mentioned anywhere that I can find. There were no holes for stitches in the bow. Everywhere else did. Easy to drill, just seemed odd.
How are you supposed to know exactly where the frames go? Just by fit?
The plans mention "cut the bow mold" and thats basically it. Not exactly overwhelmed with detail here. The bottom panels toward the bow are not coming together well. Is the bow mold something thats supposed to help with that?
Last edited by Jarret.brashear on Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jarret.brashear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Corsair 13 in Metairie LA

How do I fix that?
How do I fix that?
20190825_094112.jpg (57.25 KiB) Viewed 7209 times
How do I fix that?

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Loosen the two yellow ties. Make holes for at least two more ties, one at the very tip of the bottom panel and pull everything tight starting at the tip and going back to the blue ties.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I will reply to the other questions on Monday but Cape Man is right: give some slack to the other stitches and you should be able to bend the bow part of the bottom panels.

For the frames, I am certain that the location is shown somewhere on the plans. I"ll tell you where on Monday.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Yes!!! Another sailboat! We need more sailboat threads. The Corsair is a neat boat. Looking good so far :D

Jarret.brashear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ok I think i found the measurements for the frames. Anyone have any tips for where it says turn the hull over, block it, and check for symmetry? What is blocking it? I have to figure out how to level it before I can get any accurate measure. Good thing this doesnt have to be aerospace tolerances.

Jarret.brashear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I absolutely cannot seem to get this any closer. The defect is about 1/2 an inch. I completely took off the bottom panel and zip tied it. It looked great once I got all that does except for an area of overlap on the underside. In the process of trying to fix that I broke the tie. I added more ties and redid it but I cant get it any closer. It just keep popping out.
As far as this area of overlap on the bottom, can I just plane it after I fiberglass the inside seams and flip it over? Is that ok?
Attachments
20190825_182123.jpg
20190825_182123.jpg (30.85 KiB) Viewed 906 times
20190825_181710.jpg
20190825_181710.jpg (86.63 KiB) Viewed 906 times

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Nice kitty stamps! :lol: :lol: Good to get the kids involved!

I noticed from the pictures that you don't have any spacers. Try looser stiches and place stir sticks in between the plywood every 4 - 6". I used 1/2" pvc on the inside of the ply to get the space. I'll see if I can find a picture later. Unless you cut something wrong, you can usually get that taken care of. But what you have is not way off!

Found one...

Last edited by BB Sig on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Jarret.brashear wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:59 pm Ok I think i found the measurements for the frames. Anyone have any tips for where it says turn the hull over, block it, and check for symmetry? What is blocking it? I have to figure out how to level it before I can get any accurate measure. Good thing this doesnt have to be aerospace tolerances.
Check the picture above. I had to use blocks of wood to get and keep my bow from drooping and the hull fair. It was basically shims movedforward and backwards to adjust. That might be what the note was referring to.

Jarret.brashear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

So then you just fiberglassed the outside first?