Mattkab's GV13 questions

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mattkab's GV13 questions

Post by mattkab »

Request for Feedback: Does anyone see any major issues with my fuel tank plan?

I'm putting a "fuel cell" aluminum fuel tank in the bow compartment of my GV-13. Last night I started dry-fitting and blocking the compartment. Everything is just hot-glued at this point to stay together, so it's easy to change right now. My idea is to have 1/4" walls on the sides of the tank, and a deck above with a waterproof (purchased) hatch to gain access to the fuel fill and storage compartments port and starboard. I'll also utilize the opening on the top of the tank to vent to a deck fitting:

It's not sealed. There's a hole cut in the fuel platform for the fuel ports, open to the limber hole in the bulkhead. The fuel line will be routed to starboard under the platform, and the fuel tank itself will be through-bolted with rubber pads:

The sides of the platform are open to the storage compartments (I doubt I'd be able to get it fully air tight):
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

GV-13 Build thread & Questions
Previously completed V10 & Launch

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Hate to say this but I am pretty sure fittings are not allowed on the bottom of gas tanks. Bottom fittings are just fine on diesel but not gas.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:52 pm Hate to say this but I am pretty sure fittings are not allowed on the bottom of gas tanks. Bottom fittings are just fine on diesel but not gas.
I just did a quick google search, and will continue to look, but I'm not seeing any reference to this. Not arguing the point, just trying to problem solve. :D

I could easily add a pickup tube to the top of the tank, but I could only seal the bottom with the existing fittings (maybe locked on with locktite, or jbweld or something similar?). Not sure if that's sufficient?
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

https://newboatbuilders.com/pages/fuel.html

This is speaking about boats with inboard engines but I am sure best practice is the same for outboards. The part you want to see is about half way down.

https://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/As ... 002.01.pdf

Scroll down to page 32. This is from the coast guard.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:14 pm https://newboatbuilders.com/pages/fuel.html

This is speaking about boats with inboard engines but I am sure best practice is the same for outboards. The part you want to see is about half way down.

https://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/As ... 002.01.pdf

Scroll down to page 32. This is from the coast guard.
Thank you.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think I can comply with "If the attachment fitting is welded or attached by other non-removable means to the fuel tank" with a pickup tube at the top. Thanks for the catch!!!!
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That is one of the best things about having a build thread. Sometimes folks spot something and can help.