Mike Schwind's SK14 Build

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Mike Schwind's SK14 Build

Post by Michael.Schwind »

Hi Everyone,

I figured it was time to share some photos of my boat build. Thanks to all who have answered my questions and helped me get this far!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... FoUzVtLVp3

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Mike Schwind's SK14 Build

Post by Dougster »

Nice! I like mine plenty and put a Minn Kota riptide with spotlock on the nose and a propane Tohatsu 5hp on the stern. I didn't build a seat into it and wish I had. What do you plan on power?

Dougster

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

My plan is an 8hp Tohatsu. Hopefully that's not too much power for this little boat.

https://www.tohatsu.com/marine/int/outboards/MFS8B.html

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

No I think that'll be great. My 5 hp just runs me at 12mph or so. You'll do better. I carry a double paddle too and can maneuver and poke along with that as well.

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I don't think 8HP is going to be too much power!!! Jeff

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I have a question for you guys. After I added the foam, the port side of my boat warped and now I don't have that nice smooth curve. You can see it well in the second to last photo in my album. Do you think I will be able to straighten that out with some gunwales?

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Well that's a bummer. I would clamp the rub rail on first to see if that takes care of it. I suspect it will. If not I might cut out a wedge of foam to relieve the pressure. First would be to clamp on the rail though.

Dougster

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

I had to cut wedges into the foam as Dougster said to do. You are supposed to add the rubrail prior to foaming. The note in the FS13 stated it was optional so I waited. The note for the FS13 was supposed to be altered. Not sure what the SK14 stated to do. Make sure you wait until the rubrails are on before filling in the foam wedges that were removed!

After cutting wedges and gluing rubrails, it straightened up a lot but will require a lot of fairing. Mine will be a 20' beauty! :lol:

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

BB Sig wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:11 pm I had to cut wedges into the foam as Dougster said to do. You are supposed to add the rubrail prior to foaming. The note in the FS13 stated it was optional so I waited. The note for the FS13 was supposed to be altered. Not sure what the SK14 stated to do. Make sure you wait until the rubrails are on before filling in the foam wedges that were removed!

After cutting wedges and gluing rubrails, it straightened up a lot but will require a lot of fairing. Mine will be a 20' beauty! :lol:
Did you cut your wedges at the point where the frames meet the side panels, on either side of the frame? After looking at the boat yesterday, I am having a hard time figuring out where the wedges need to be cut in order to relieve the pressure.

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Dougster wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:00 pm Well that's a bummer. I would clamp the rub rail on first to see if that takes care of it. I suspect it will. If not I might cut out a wedge of foam to relieve the pressure. First would be to clamp on the rail though.

Dougster
Dougster,

What type of wood did you use for your rub rail? I was thinking about using Cypress. What are your thoughts on that?