I'm New Here

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
JD_TX
New Poster
New Poster

I'm New Here

Post by JD_TX »

New guy here, I live in North Texas and fish the lakes up here when I have a boat. I have went from a pontoon to kayak to high-end kayak to aluminum center console to nothing at all. I enjoyed my kayaks the most but hated all the work involved so I have decided to build the fs14_ls. It should handle the lakes around here and my occasional trips to the coast. I have experience with some paint/body work, mechanical work, welding and drunken tinkering. I've never built a boat but I have read a ton on here and I think I can pull it off. I have a 30x40' shop and all the equipment needed to do it. What say you forum? Is the fs14_ls too much for a first time boat builder?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: I'm New Here

Post by fallguy1000 »

JD_TX wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:04 pm New guy here, I live in North Texas and fish the lakes up here when I have a boat. I have went from a pontoon to kayak to high-end kayak to aluminum center console to nothing at all. I enjoyed my kayaks the most but hated all the work involved so I have decided to build the fs14_ls. It should handle the lakes around here and my occasional trips to the coast. I have experience with some paint/body work, mechanical work, welding and drunken tinkering. I've never built a boat but I have read a ton on here and I think I can pull it off. I have a 30x40' shop and all the equipment needed to do it. What say you forum? Is the fs14_ls too much for a first time boat builder?
Nope. Good luck. Get stuck. Ask here. Lotsa builders of that boat.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

You can do it! Welcome to the forum. Post lots of pictures!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Like they said you can do it :!: Different first builds have ranged fro 5-25 feet so 14 footer is a great place to start.
This style of building is very forgiving. About the only mistake you can make that is not fixable is to use cheap plywood.
Start a build thread and post lots of pictures as you go.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Your greatest skill listed is drunken tinkering 8)

Go for it!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

JD_TX
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JD_TX »

cape man wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:45 am Your greatest skill listed is drunken tinkering 8)

Go for it!
That's my favorite skill too!

JD_TX
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JD_TX »

Thank you for the positive support guys. Can't wait to get started.

druid
New Poster
New Poster

Post by druid »

One thing I've learned about building boats: it's fairly easy to build a boat that floats and performs well - the Talent and Time is what makes them beautiful. If you're more concerned with function over form (as I am), go for it! The prettying up will come with time...

druid

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I know you can. All you gotta do is start and not quit.

Dougster

LarryA
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by LarryA »

Everyone was new here at one point! Welcome and GOOD SKILL! And remember, you will make mistakes, there is no such thing as a perfect boat. I promise you, whatever mistake you may make, someone else has made it too. have a "moaning chair" in your shop so you can flop down and go "oh my, how am I going to fix that??" A small fridge next to said chair is also useful .
Last edited by LarryA on Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.