Page 1 of 1

I'm New Here

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:04 pm
by JD_TX
New guy here, I live in North Texas and fish the lakes up here when I have a boat. I have went from a pontoon to kayak to high-end kayak to aluminum center console to nothing at all. I enjoyed my kayaks the most but hated all the work involved so I have decided to build the fs14_ls. It should handle the lakes around here and my occasional trips to the coast. I have experience with some paint/body work, mechanical work, welding and drunken tinkering. I've never built a boat but I have read a ton on here and I think I can pull it off. I have a 30x40' shop and all the equipment needed to do it. What say you forum? Is the fs14_ls too much for a first time boat builder?

Re: I'm New Here

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:14 pm
by fallguy1000
JD_TX wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:04 pm New guy here, I live in North Texas and fish the lakes up here when I have a boat. I have went from a pontoon to kayak to high-end kayak to aluminum center console to nothing at all. I enjoyed my kayaks the most but hated all the work involved so I have decided to build the fs14_ls. It should handle the lakes around here and my occasional trips to the coast. I have experience with some paint/body work, mechanical work, welding and drunken tinkering. I've never built a boat but I have read a ton on here and I think I can pull it off. I have a 30x40' shop and all the equipment needed to do it. What say you forum? Is the fs14_ls too much for a first time boat builder?
Nope. Good luck. Get stuck. Ask here. Lotsa builders of that boat.

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:39 pm
by BB Sig
You can do it! Welcome to the forum. Post lots of pictures!

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:02 pm
by Fuzz
Like they said you can do it :!: Different first builds have ranged fro 5-25 feet so 14 footer is a great place to start.
This style of building is very forgiving. About the only mistake you can make that is not fixable is to use cheap plywood.
Start a build thread and post lots of pictures as you go.

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:45 am
by cape man
Your greatest skill listed is drunken tinkering 8)

Go for it!

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:15 am
by JD_TX
cape man wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:45 am Your greatest skill listed is drunken tinkering 8)

Go for it!
That's my favorite skill too!

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:44 am
by JD_TX
Thank you for the positive support guys. Can't wait to get started.

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:49 pm
by druid
One thing I've learned about building boats: it's fairly easy to build a boat that floats and performs well - the Talent and Time is what makes them beautiful. If you're more concerned with function over form (as I am), go for it! The prettying up will come with time...

druid

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:23 pm
by Dougster
I know you can. All you gotta do is start and not quit.

Dougster

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:32 pm
by LarryA
Everyone was new here at one point! Welcome and GOOD SKILL! And remember, you will make mistakes, there is no such thing as a perfect boat. I promise you, whatever mistake you may make, someone else has made it too. have a "moaning chair" in your shop so you can flop down and go "oh my, how am I going to fix that??" A small fridge next to said chair is also useful .

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:21 pm
by VT_Jeff
Welcome!

The fs14ls is my second boat, first was a 12' driftboat. The glassing of the seams and bottom is the first real challenge you'll run into, everything up till that point is fun and low-stress. Not difficult, but intimidating due to the cost of the materials and the fact that it's a single, continuous process, where up till then it's go-as-you-like. So plan that part very thoroughly, have additional hands available if possible. But I can assure you that if I got through it without the need to grind/repeat, anyone can.

Most definitely can be done as a first boat though and it sounds like you have a nice space to work in.

Are you upsizing? I got a PM from someone a while back looking to upsize and lost track of them.

Good luck,

jeff

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:43 pm
by cape man
And pondering... you will need to master pondering.

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:52 pm
by VT_Jeff
cape man wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:43 pm And pondering... you will need to master pondering.
Most Definitely! And Don't forget second guessing and mind-changing.

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:03 pm
by Jaysen
Where does creative cursing fall on the skills list?

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:31 pm
by JD_TX
VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:21 pm Welcome!

Are you upsizing? I got a PM from someone a while back looking to upsize and lost track of them.

Good luck,

jeff
No I think I will stick to the plans for my first build. I will probably order the CNC cut kit too so that I have the best shot at success.

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:26 am
by fallguy1000
cape man wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:43 pm And pondering... you will need to master pondering.
Hmmm. How am I gonna wrap this thing with carbon fiber?

Must ponder. Spock, is Jim in an alien mind trance? No, he is just pondering the vastness of the universe.
B1575E6B-4DF2-4719-A61D-D9DD00B23A42.jpeg