GV 11 drain plug

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
jnb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GV 11 drain plug

Post by jnb »

I need to install a drain plug in the transom of my (almost complete) GV 11. The only type of plug I have any familiarity with a brass tube that you cut and then flare out to tighten. However, since the transom is only a single sheet of ply where it needs to be installed I think it would be difficult to use a flaring tool on to get it flush.

Any recommendations for other types of drain tubes/plugs would be appreciated. Boat isn't going to spend the night in the water, so I don't need something totally bombproof--just want something easy to pull the plug on (without a tool) and use to drain rain water at the end of the day.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GV 11 drain plug

Post by Fuzz »

You could use a garboard plug https://www.fisheriessupply.com/perko-g ... -0714-0742

Or you can drill an over size hole, fill with epoxy glue, and then drill that to the size of the rubber plug. Either way I would put in a small backer plate to make that spot a little thicker. It will give the screws more to bite or more sealing area if you go with the drill and fill.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

This kind. No need for a backing plate. Use through bolted small machine screws. Drill oversized holes, fill with thickened epoxy, then re-drill when cured.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ronstan- ... ecordNum=5
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

jnb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jnb »

Perfect, thanks.

jnb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jnb »

Here's the dumb question of the day: should this be installed so it is accessible from the inside or outside? I'm thinking inside to if it pops out I'll be able to stick it back in, but maybe I'm overlooking something.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Most of the time they are mounted on the outside. I think it is so you can see them before launching the boat. I have started mounting mine on the inside. My reason is if there is a problem, like forgetting them, I can deal with it with the boat in the water.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

I mount mine on the inside. Much harder to put back in when underwater on the outside.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

jnb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jnb »

I like that logic. History has proven I'm capable of forgetting plugs mounted on the outside, so I may as well have it accessible on the inside.