FS14LS frame, bulkheads and stringers hot spot bedding and a couple more question

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Lakesurfer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS14LS frame, bulkheads and stringers hot spot bedding and a couple more question

Post by Lakesurfer »

I’ve been collecting info and researching as well as gathering information from members from other forums who have been awesome. My research is showing way to many opinions and variations and arguments. So I’m here, where the plans can from.

My boat will be an all composite foam and fiberglass build. Frames and stringers are 2 layers of 1/2 4lbs foam. I should be ready in the next 3 weeks or so to bed the stringers and frames to the hull. I’m confused at exactly what hot spots are and what problems they can cause and if I even need to worry about them in a 14 foot boat with a 15 hp tiller? I’ve planned out every last inch of foam and don’t have enough to place the foam padding with the 45 degree angles on each side that connect the frames to the hull. Shipping would cost more than the price of another foam sheet.

Can I simply bed them and fillet them?
Can I use insulation foam for the padding opposed to marine stuff?
Are hard spots an issue where the decks attach to the structure?
Does the transom need the same considerations.

I’ve seen Strakes and spray rails installed on these boats but no information on the size, shape or where to locate them on the hull. Is there a rule of thumb that I need to understand? Of are these even necessary on this hull?

I apologize for the basic questions and I’m sure there are more to come.

I appreciate the advice.

-Mark

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14LS frame, bulkheads and stringers hot spot bedding and a couple more question

Post by VT_Jeff »

Not sure what "hot spots" are but "hard spots" are where the panels are touching each other without a gap. The designer wants a small, continous gap between the panels to ensure they are not pressuring each other and that they are fair. I used framing nails inserted along the seam to ensure there was a gap. The gap gets filled with whatever glue you're using to join the panels, in my case Gelmagic.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie