help with latch hinge mortises

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: help with latch hinge mortises

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:58 pm
Jaysen wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:30 pm A little secret...

If you have the proper radius bit, you don’t need to radius the template. Just make the corner straight extension of the edges. The bit will make the rounded corner for you.

So figure out the diameter of the hinge corner radius and make it simple by buying a bit to match.
That would def simplify things. I fear that 1-5/16 may not be an easy-to-find mortise bit size.
Fostner bit and drill press?

For some reason I thought these were square with rounded corners. I’m no help at this poin🤗
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:20 pm For some reason I thought these were square with rounded corners. I’m no help at this poin🤗
I wasn't that smart or maybe I was too cheap. The whole end of the hinge is a radius, 1-5/16.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:28 pm
Jaysen wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:20 pm For some reason I thought these were square with rounded corners. I’m no help at this poin🤗
I wasn't that smart or maybe I was too cheap. The whole end of the hinge is a radius, 1-5/16.
If you’ve access to a woodcraft or other stupidly expensive woodworking shop they should have a fostner that size. You will need a press for that but...

With a diameter that big the pattern and collar solution is probably the easiest.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Because I am not a wood worker - I'd make the recesses slightly oversided. Then drill and fill oversized mounting holes with epoxy plugs. At the same time, cover the hinge with brown mylar packing tape. Fill the gap between the oversized holes and the hinge with thickend epoxy. Perfect fit.

Bonus - you have to seal the bare wood with at least 2 coats of plain epoxy otherwise. This does it in one application.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Evan_Gatehouse wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:06 pm Because I am not a wood worker - I'd make the recesses slightly oversided. Then drill and fill oversized mounting holes with epoxy plugs. At the same time, cover the hinge with brown mylar packing tape. Fill the gap between the oversized holes and the hinge with thickend epoxy. Perfect fit.

Bonus - you have to seal the bare wood with at least 2 coats of plain epoxy otherwise. This does it in one application.
This. Voice of experience. Simple solution.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Evan_Gatehouse wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:06 pm Because I am not a wood worker - I'd make the recesses slightly oversided. Then drill and fill oversized mounting holes with epoxy plugs. At the same time, cover the hinge with brown mylar packing tape. Fill the gap between the oversized holes and the hinge with thickend epoxy. Perfect fit.

Great thoughts Evan. I do a lot of the "tape and fill" procedure you mentioned but had not seriously considered it here. I think I was stuck on my original plan of getting the mortises cut correctly into the wood and I lost sight of the larger goal, which is just to get the hinges flush/clean. I'm going to re-tool in that direction.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:19 pm

This. Voice of experience. Simple solution.
Yup. Just another day at BBCU!

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

Spend the time making a jig & then router 100%

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cape_fisherman wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:19 pm Spend the time making a jig & then router 100%
That's the path I chose, finished today. there are photos and a description on my build thread.

Although I liked the concept of over-cut and backfill, I was concerned about my ability to get it right 8 times in a row. I knew the router/template option would be the easiest to repeat, and it was. The template was super easy to make with a forstner bit that exactly matched the hinge radius/width, 30 mm. Just f few hits with the drill press and a little filing and it was done and about flawless.

Credit to Fallguy for initially pushing me in that direction, appreciate it.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great work Jeff!!!! Jeff