FS-13 transom arc question

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

FS-13 transom arc question

Post by jonnymac »

i am trying to draw the panels out on the plywood and for the curved transom top it gives a dimension like R23, I guess that means some sort of circular dimension, but i don’t know what it means. the plans give the width of the transom and a height along two parts of top radius but i don’t know how to connect them.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS-13 transom arc question

Post by VT_Jeff »

jonnymac wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:03 pm i am trying to draw the panels out on the plywood and for the curved transom top it gives a dimension like R23, I guess that means some sort of circular dimension, but i don’t know what it means. the plans give the width of the transom and a height along two parts of top radius but i don’t know how to connect them.
23" radius. You need to make a 23" compass out of scrap, a nail and a pencil.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Strings tied to a pencil work if u r careful.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

thanks for the replies, it makes sense. The math on the transom height didn’t seem to make sense. I’ll draw it out on the plywood and report back. maybe I’m just being silly.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

jonnymac wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:05 pm thanks for the replies, it makes sense. The math on the transom height didn’t seem to make sense. I’ll draw it out on the plywood and report back. maybe I’m just being silly.
If you want a sanity check, pm me the transom dimensions and I'll lay it out, I think its nearly the same as my transom.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

so this is what the listed plan measurements look like drawn out. the giant arc is the one listed on plan. the dark middle arc is what i get when i get when i pickup the arc length based on listed edge. the small arc is i thought maybe the first digit of plan arc was a typo
Attachments
arc pictures
arc pictures

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

jonnymac wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:36 am so this is what the listed plan measurements look like drawn out. the giant arc is the one listed on plan. the dark middle arc is what i get when i get when i pickup the arc length based on listed edge. the small arc is i thought maybe the first digit of plan arc was a typo
Extend the centerline down. Put the compass pencil on one of the top corners and the nail on the extended centerline, then draw your arc.
Attachments
20210301_073820.jpg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

As you can see from these builds linked from the study plans, there is some leeway to vary the shape of the transom somewhat. You want the motor to clamp at the correct height, but beyond that it's up to you how the transom top is shaped.

Hank

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

pee wee wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:43 am As you can see from these builds linked from the study plans, there is some leeway to vary the shape of the transom somewhat. You want the motor to clamp at the correct height, but beyond that it's up to you how the transom top is shaped.
Great point. Probably best to start with the correct shaft length bottom-to-top, and then connect the dots from there. As drawn it's a little less than 15" from the top flat section to the bottom, I'm guessing that's by design to allow some adjustment with a 15" shaft. I was expecting it to be exactly 15".

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Just because something it 15" long does not mean it is 15" long. Most women will support that statement. outboard motor shafts seem to suffer the same "verifiable length" issues as us men :)

Make sure you look at actual specs that should show the length from mount "top" to nav plate. I've found that there is a several inch variation between manufactures. Granted I'm looking at little motors but an fs13 won't be needing anything much bigger than my 6hp.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.