V12 panels stitching order

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Mario76
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

V12 panels stitching order

Post by Mario76 »

V12 has a V bottom. According to plans first are stitched side panels and after that bottom panels are attached to them .
In internet I've seen more common in V bottom dinghies is first stich v bottom panels and then attached side panels.
Why do you recommend this order ?
Regards
Mario

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: V12 panels stitching order

Post by Jaysen »

It's a bit more complicated than just stitching the sides, then the bottom. You stitch the bow loose, attach transom, set in the forward, mid and aft frames. Then you attach the bottoms.

Doing it this way, it is super easy to get the share right as you can very easily get the frame positions correct with the sides making a VERY stable surface. If you build in the traditions "right side up "bottom first" you have to have a cradle to support the bottom that matches the not-yet-developed shape of the V and curve to the bow. The BBC method is apparently fool proof as even I managed to be a nice boat :)

Having built the V12 (sail version) I could not imagine attempting to build it "bottom to top" as you suggest.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Mario76
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mario76 »

Thank you Janysen for your answer. I've asked because I've noticed lots of people have struggled with stitching V bottom bow section in the end .

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That’s problem is the same no matter witch method you would use. You are putting a compound curve in the sheet at that point. It would be impossible to do right without a the frames with would make it even harder to do bottom to top.

The trick for the bow is to keep things loose at the start, use edge spacers, use pvc tie spacers and work things tight slowly. Then remember that the ply is a CORE not the boat so we can fill gaps with not problem. I think I filled about 1” of gap with some ply scrap, thickened epoxy and glass. Mine gets a regular beating every time she’s out and the one spot I know will never be a problem is the gap in the bow.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Thanks Jaysen, I have nothing to add except to say that you explained it well.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Mario76
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mario76 »

Thank you very much for the answers.