Glass Weave for non-skid

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Glass Weave for non-skid

Post by VT_Jeff »

seaslug wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:07 am I used 3/8" Okoume for the decks on my 4 builds, all using 1 layer of 6oz. woven, which leaves very little weave to fill. Primer and an epoxy paint like Awlgrip with the non skid holds up incredibly well, and is very grippy. My FS18 with almost 5 years of constant use shows no sign of wear. On my sailboat I think I added one coat of Awlgrip after many years of use. No sanding necessary to recoat an old worn deck, just roll on the paint and add non skid.

Great info Mike. My plan is to go with your solution using the BBC grit and my normal topside/deck paint. he 40z cloth I used on my deck has even less weave to fill.

What's your sailboat, something you built?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

I had a 32' William Garden ketch for 13 years. It was a beautiful boat with acres of varnished Teak and I was obsessed with keeping it looking perfect. After my son was born, and with work taking so much of my time I started neglecting my weekly sanding and varnishing chores. I let the varnish deteriorate to the point I didn't even want to walk out to my dock and see it. I eventually listed it with a broker and the first guy to look at it offered me full asking price, contingent on me re varnishing the entire boat. It was so disheartening sanding and varnishing my baby for someone else, that after a few days I called the broker and lowered the price so I wouldn't have to do it. If you have varnished wood in Florida you better have lots of free time, and a little brain damage would help as well.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

seaslug wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:46 am I called the broker and lowered the price so I wouldn't have to do it.
More than understandable!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie