Glass Weave for non-skid

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Glass Weave for non-skid

Post by cracked_ribs »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:01 pm I have to remember most of you guys use your boats a little different than how I do. There is no such thing as too much deck grit for me. The next time I am bare footed on a boat will also be the first time.
It sure changes the game when your fishing partner is your bikini-clad wife, all right. If I sit on the deck for whatever reason, at least there's a layer of cloth to take the sharp surface! For her it's straight skin-on-cheese-grater and I don't want to deal with the aftermath of that at all.

I was going to say "I don't go barefoot myself" because I couldn't think of why I would ever fish with no shoes on, but at the same time I remembered the feel of the deck on my feet and was struggling to imagine a reason I would have done that...then I realized that actually I've been barefoot on deck dozens of times, because although I never fish that way, when I'm commuting back and forth to my cabin, sometimes I just swim out to the boat instead of rowing. I used to rent a mooring in a convenient spot on the work side where I could leave my truck, and in the morning I'd walk down to the beach, swim out to the boat, run across to the big island, tie up, and swim to shore. I just left work clothes in my office, and showed up in trunks and a t-shirt, with my wallet, phone, and keys etc in a dry bag with a shoulder strap. I think I made everyone's "strangest coworker" list when I arrived.

So even though I would never fish without shoes on, actually, a deck that's okay to walk on in bare feet is pretty useful to me, although I wouldn't have thought so at first.

But for sure I never want to be in the position of telling a woman "yeah, maybe you need to wear more clothes if you want to be comfortable." That, sir, is a line I do not cross. Out of respect for my passengers, of course.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

I’ve used Kiwi Grip as a non skid several times now and really like the combination of grip it gives without the sharpness of embedded grit or sand non skid. Have also used interlocking flexible vinyl tiles inside of the bottom of compartments. There are several types ranging from slightly squishy to downright hard. Popular in the commercial fishing industry to cover decks.

Another option that is popular with people into water sports like skiing, wakeboarding and diving is to use some type of soft foam sheeting for flooring like SeaDek or a flexible non woven that is designed to drain water.

Some boats use indoor/outdoor marine carpet. Others use a woven vinyl flooring. I’ve seen people use artificial turf.

Lots of good options out there.

Lots to consider depending on the specifics of your needs: barefoot comfort or not, ability to drain water, durability, stain resistance, amount of fish slime, weather-ability, mold and mildew resistance, UV stability. Not to mention cost, ease of installation, DIY potential, cosmetic appeal.

Your project is coming along nicely. I’m confident that whatever you choose will be after much thought and care.

Best wishes for continued success on your project.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Browndog wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:31 am I’ve used Kiwi Grip as a non skid several times now and really like the combination of grip it gives without the sharpness of embedded grit or sand non skid. Have also used interlocking flexible vinyl tiles inside of the bottom of compartments. There are several types ranging from slightly squishy to downright hard. Popular in the commercial fishing industry to cover decks.

Another option that is popular with people into water sports like skiing, wakeboarding and diving is to use some type of soft foam sheeting for flooring like SeaDek or a flexible non woven that is designed to drain water.

Some boats use indoor/outdoor marine carpet. Others use a woven vinyl flooring. I’ve seen people use artificial turf.

Lots of good options out there.

Lots to consider depending on the specifics of your needs: barefoot comfort or not, ability to drain water, durability, stain resistance, amount of fish slime, weather-ability, mold and mildew resistance, UV stability. Not to mention cost, ease of installation, DIY potential, cosmetic appeal.

Your project is coming along nicely. I’m confident that whatever you choose will be after much thought and care.

Best wishes for continued success on your project.
Really appreciate the input, Browndog!

I have strongly considered both carpet and foam. My concern about foam is what the dogs claws will do to it. I watched my previous dog shred the foam tops on a few of our paddleboards so I'm pretty confident I know how that will go. It is attractive though as I know it will give the pup great grip. Carpet would be a great, practical choice but it won't satisfy my visual requirements.

I have considered the kiwi grip and similar solutions and that is probably second on my list to what SeaSlug did, which I'm going to try out of the gate. The "grit in paint" seems like the most fool-proof, and when it comes to boat-building, I am more than capable of being the fool!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:37 pm
Fuzz wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:01 pm I have to remember most of you guys use your boats a little different than how I do. There is no such thing as too much deck grit for me. The next time I am bare footed on a boat will also be the first time.
It sure changes the game when your fishing partner is your bikini-clad wife, all right. If I sit on the deck for whatever reason, at least there's a layer of cloth to take the sharp surface! For her it's straight skin-on-cheese-grater and I don't want to deal with the aftermath of that at all.

I was going to say "I don't go barefoot myself" because I couldn't think of why I would ever fish with no shoes on, but at the same time I remembered the feel of the deck on my feet and was struggling to imagine a reason I would have done that...then I realized that actually I've been barefoot on deck dozens of times, because although I never fish that way, when I'm commuting back and forth to my cabin, sometimes I just swim out to the boat instead of rowing. I used to rent a mooring in a convenient spot on the work side where I could leave my truck, and in the morning I'd walk down to the beach, swim out to the boat, run across to the big island, tie up, and swim to shore. I just left work clothes in my office, and showed up in trunks and a t-shirt, with my wallet, phone, and keys etc in a dry bag with a shoulder strap. I think I made everyone's "strangest coworker" list when I arrived.

So even though I would never fish without shoes on, actually, a deck that's okay to walk on in bare feet is pretty useful to me, although I wouldn't have thought so at first.

But for sure I never want to be in the position of telling a woman "yeah, maybe you need to wear more clothes if you want to be comfortable." That, sir, is a line I do not cross. Out of respect for my passengers, of course.
"I think I made everyone's "strangest coworker" list when I arrived." I suspect you may have held that title before you swam to work. :lol:

It is definitely poor form to require anything beyond minimum attire. My better half is definitely more of a flyfishing/paddle junkie than sunbathing queen but she does have nice feet and likes to keep them tan. In the heat of the summer on Lake Ontario, barefoot boating, fishing, swimming are a near-constant cycle to the point that they begin to meld together. Bare feet are neither the rule nor the exception.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:56 am It is definitely poor form to require anything beyond minimum attire.
And a pocket cruiser sailboat, with its built-in changing room and "quick hide" space, encourages a reductionist definition of "minimum attire". Just make sure you leave the dock before the reduction begins in earnest.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:56 am And a pocket cruiser sailboat, with its built-in changing room and "quick hide" space, encourages a reductionist definition of "minimum attire". Just make sure you leave the dock before the reduction begins in earnest.
I'm envious. This is about as close as my Mrs gets to a bikini or reductionist attire. Not complaining. For you IG-enabled types only......

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCEpeJOFJjv/

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

This is exactly why I like living on little islands...relaxed dress code.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:56 am "I think I made everyone's "strangest coworker" list when I arrived." I suspect you may have held that title before you swam to work. :lol:
Oh man...remind me to tell a few "dealing with Cracked Ribs' bizarre sense of humour at work" stories.

I feel for people who have, through no fault of their own, been confined with me in any environment in which I become bored.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:13 am
Jaysen wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:56 am And a pocket cruiser sailboat, with its built-in changing room and "quick hide" space, encourages a reductionist definition of "minimum attire". Just make sure you leave the dock before the reduction begins in earnest.
I'm envious. This is about as close as my Mrs gets to a bikini or reductionist attire. Not complaining. For you IG-enabled types only......

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCEpeJOFJjv/
Mine is the same... until it is May, the sun is out, and we are alone on the water. Something about 100F for months on end encourages a different thought about what clothes are absolutely necessary. It's amazing how short that list gets when the fans aren't working :)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

If we're doing the gram I'll just say that I can be found at an account known as Double Eagle Island.

And I am NOT directly linking to a single image because man, you don't know what you're going to find there...and you were warned. The posts have slowed down since we had a kid, and I don't do the same kind of work I used to.

I feel that by placing the speed bump here of requiring people to go google it if they want to get some kind of visual on my pretty surreal life, I have sufficiently insulated you all from a casual, accidental exposure which causes psychic scarring. Or HR department investigations.

But there's a little bit of boatbuilding mixed in with the harrowing descent into sex, violence, and rabbits. If you like that kind of thing.