Glass Weave for non-skid

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Glass Weave for non-skid

Post by VT_Jeff »

This has probably been covered ad-naseum but here goes:

Is there a good reason that un-faired, 4oz glass weave won't work well as a non-skid surface on the deck? I was thinking it feels weird that I'm going to fair the weave first, and then apply a non-skid coating, when all I really need to do is nothing and I get about the same result.

As always, any/all opinions welcome.

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Glass Weave for non-skid

Post by Fuzz »

I would worry that after painting the non skid ability might be lost. If so you can always add non skid to another layer of paint.

Not the same but I once laid 1708, roven up and with dye add, on the deck of my commercial salmon boat. I had to boat for 6-7 years after and it both held up and worked very well the whole time.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:07 pm I would worry that after painting the non skid ability might be lost. If so you can always add non skid to another layer of paint.
That is definitely possible, it's pretty tight already without paint.
Fuzz wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:07 pm Not the same but I once laid 1708, roven up and with dye add, on the deck of my commercial salmon boat. I had to boat for 6-7 years after and it both held up and worked very well the whole time.
That's good to hear. At least I know I'm not crazy for considering it.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:39 pm
Fuzz wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:07 pm Not the same but I once laid 1708, roven up and with dye add, on the deck of my commercial salmon boat. I had to boat for 6-7 years after and it both held up and worked very well the whole time.
That's good to hear. At least I know I'm not crazy for considering it.
Considering that you are using Fuzz as the source of not crazy means you are almost certainly crazy.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:40 pm Considering that you are using Fuzz as the source of not crazy means you are almost certainly crazy.
Great point! Grading crazy on a curve in this case I guess!

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I once did some non-skid that went like this: I put down the weave, then went a little heavy with epoxy, then tossed a few handfuls of garage floor coating grit that said it was epoxy compatible over it as it was drying. I bought the grit from Home Depot for around six bucks.

That boat got used really heavily, was always coated in sand from me climbing in and out at the beach, got walked on probably 5 times a week, and three years later the deck would still take the skin off your knees if you let it. It was about the grippiest deck I've ever had.

Just weave, I'm not sure. But weave with a bit of cheap silica grit, wow, that is some hard-wearing, hard-gripping floor. I don't really recommend it for bare feet, though.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:56 pm Just weave, I'm not sure. But weave with a bit of cheap silica grit, wow, that is some hard-wearing, hard-gripping floor. I don't really recommend it for bare feet, though.
I like that idea a lot but the wife's barefeet and the dogs feet may not.

I think I'm going to go with Mike Seaslugs method using the BBC grit and forget the effortless/glass weave idea.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I have to remember most of you guys use your boats a little different than how I do. There is no such thing as too much deck grit for me. The next time I am bare footed on a boat will also be the first time.

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

The advice I received on a different boatbuilding forum was that using just the glass weave for non-skid works BUT it's a one-time application. If you ever need to refinish the deck, if you just look at it with a sander you'll sand into the glass and destroy whatever structural qualities the glass was intended to bring to the party in the first place. You'll need to re-glass the whole deck. Better to fill the weave and top the paint with non-skid, because when that wears out you can fix it.

I've never worn out a deck enough to test that theory but it seemed to make sense ...

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Chenier wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:37 pm The advice I received on a different boatbuilding forum was that using just the glass weave for non-skid works BUT it's a one-time application. If you ever need to refinish the deck, if you just look at it with a sander you'll sand into the glass and destroy whatever structural qualities the glass was intended to bring to the party in the first place. You'll need to re-glass the whole deck. Better to fill the weave and top the paint with non-skid, because when that wears out you can fix it.

I've never worn out a deck enough to test that theory but it seemed to make sense ...
Great point!