FS14 Layout Modifications

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
jepetto21
New Poster
New Poster

FS14 Layout Modifications

Post by jepetto21 »

Good afternoon everyone,

I am in the middle of my FS14 build and have just flipped the hull over to start the inside. Attached is a sketch of my proposed alteration and the progress update on the build. Appreciate any feedback on ideas and issues that might arise from this modification.

My thoughts are that keeping at least one of the middle frames running full width will be helpful for the structure to maintain rigidity.
Attachments
IMG_5691.jpg
IMG_5693.jpg

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS14 Layout Modifications

Post by jacquesmm »

What is the distance between the frames in the middle? From the rear deck frame to the half frames of the benches? It should be not more than 36".
Also, you must keep all the floor frames.

I think that this layout is on the heavy side. You put the features of a large boat in a small one.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jepetto21
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jepetto21 »

It is a little longer at 4'-4" from the forward frame on the rear seat to the forward frame on the middle bench. Understand the concerns on weight. Now you have me thinking about opening up the deck completely and eliminating the middle bench but installing low profile frames similar to a strip planked on frame boat, say every 18". Maybe I'm out of my mind on this, but I like the open concept with a cooler in the middle for a bench.

Then again, adding a sole across most of the boat is probably very heavy as well. Appreciate the thoughts on this and sorry if I'm messing with a good design. Just like tinkering with custom designs.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

You need a frame somewhere in that 4' 4". It can be a small, narrow frame, 3" wide but you need something there for stiffness.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com