V12 gunwales

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Mario76
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

V12 gunwales

Post by Mario76 »

In the plan says you can either make them from single piece of wood 20mm thick or from two 10mm thick.
Could you tell me how do you make gunwales from two thin pieces? Do you laminate one at the time and next day you glue next one on top ? Or you laminate them first together and then stock it to the boat?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: V12 gunwales

Post by Jaysen »

You laminate one layer at a time. That down not mean that you need to wait for the first layer to cure but it is much easier to do it that way.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: V12 gunwales

Post by jacquesmm »

You can also use multiple layers of thin plywood. Use the leftover ply from the sides, it has the proper curve.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com