Hiawatha Questions

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hiawatha Questions

Post by Jeff »

This email arrived over the weekend: "Hi, I purchased plans for the Hiawatha 14 from you in March of 2020; my payPal [removed], and my Invoice ID is [removed]. There are dimensions missing from the plans (both imperial and metric.)

Specifically:

- the camber dimension for the bow/stern on the UPPER PANEL
- the location of end of the CHINE PANEL (at the stern/bow intersection with the upper panel)

Please supply the missing dimensions.

Thanks,

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Hiawatha Questions

Post by fallguy1000 »

My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

For the emailer, please post here and I will reply.
If the previous thread does not answer your question, please post again but I think that the answer is in that thread.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

This thread answers the end point for the chine panel.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62392

Some deduction to 'estimate' in your minds eye is that the long side of the chine panel and the long side of the upper panel stitch together, so they must be the same length :)

It is good to have kind of an idea of what your end part will look like and interact with other parts so you can do kind of a logical double check when looking at what you have drawn out before cutting. This weekend I had drawn out a part I had calculated some changes to and when It was drawn out, it looked like the right part but seemed 'off' for some reason. I went back and double checked my math and it was all correct, I then measured what I had drawn out and realized I had measured the end length and drew my radiused end from the end instead of back one radius length, so it was that much longer than it should have been. Lucky I caught it because it was a template I was then making 9 different derived parts from along with all of their templates.

When I built my HC14, I exaggerated the end camber and made it very round on the ends, to the other extreme I have seen people build it perfectly straight. Both extremes work and you should build it to how you think it would look best for you.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62392

DBurgess
New Poster
New Poster

Post by DBurgess »

Hi All,

I'm "the emailer".

1. - Jeff, please remove the paypal receipt and invoice ID #s from the opening post.
2. - Jacques, I looked at the linked post, and from what I can tell, it doesn't answer either question.

Thanks,
Darcy

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

DBurgess wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:19 pm I looked at the linked post, and from what I can tell, it doesn't answer either question.
Hi Darcy,
I messed up with my copy/paste of links in my post sorry :/
Try this one for the measurements question,

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64022

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

DBurgess wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:19 pm 1. - Jeff, please remove the paypal receipt and invoice ID #s from the opening post.
Data removed.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Jeff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:15 am
- the camber dimension for the bow/stern on the UPPER PANEL
- the location of end of the CHINE PANEL (at the stern/bow intersection with the upper panel)

Please supply the missing dimensions.

Thanks,
For the camber, see Narfi's answer, you are free to give as much or as little camber you want. The plans give a camber dimension: 1". See te text under each panel: "End camber 25 mm (1")"

I also see the dimensions for the ends of each panel. For the chine panel, it is 37-5/8 and 26-7/8 from the last vertical line, the one spaced every 24".

I hope that answer the questions, feel free to post again and sorry for the delayed reply, I missed that question.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com