Optimist: hole for mast

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
opti_builder
New Poster
New Poster

Optimist: hole for mast

Post by opti_builder »

Hello all,

I am building the Optimist club racer from the BoatBuilder kit. The mast partner is shown in the plans as having a hole for the mast. However, in the kit I purchased there is no hole, and no mark indicating where it should be cut or where the center is. Can anyone point me to something that would show where this hole should be centered or give the measurements where it should be centered? (I realize that the exact diameter needed for the hole depends on the mast or mast step to be used, but for now I need a hole at least big enough to put the jig through and just need to know where it should be centered.)

Thanks!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Optimist: hole for mast

Post by jacquesmm »

There should be a pilot hole in the partner.
The hole is lined up with the forward face of the first mold.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

opti_builder
New Poster
New Poster

Post by opti_builder »

Unfortunately, there is not a pilot hole on either side of the partner.

Can you let me know far in from the forward or aft edge of the partner the pilot hole should be located or point me to where I could find this? I assume it should be centered port/starboard. (I did not buy the mold kit, so I don't have that as a reference.)

Thanks!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

OK, the pilot hole must be in the mold kit. There is a mast and daggerboard locator jig in the kit.
Give me a few minutes to measure.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I had to check the 3D model, just to be certain.
The mast is centered in the partner. Just drill a hole in the center and that will the center of the mast.

Per Optimist class rules, available online, you must measure from the aft face of the aft transom and the distance to the center must be between 1992 and 2002 mm (78-5/8 + or - 1/4").
We only sell the Optimist kit, not the plans. Our assembly instructions produce a a class legal Opti but keep it simple: drill a hole in the middle of the partner.
No need to measure: draw two diagonals across the partner and the intersection is the center.

That "problem" does not exist if someone uses a complete mold kit. That kit includes a jig that locates the daggerboard trunk and the mast.

opti_builder
New Poster
New Poster

Post by opti_builder »

Great-thank you!