Re: To Jacques. Plywood canoe.

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Well, I'm not familiar with the CC14 and I wouldn't presume to be able to tell you what could be altered with the design. I'm not a naval architect and I just mess around with design a bit for my own uses. But I will say that the very first boat I built, when I was still a teenager, was basically a stitch and glue canoe. But I was also broke, and couldn't afford epoxy. Instead I drew patterns and rather than fillet and tape, I took 2x2s scarfed to the length of the chines, and made chine logs that I glued and screwed into place. I scarfed the plywood as well. I can't remember what I used for glue but some kind of construction glue. I painted the whole thing with white porch paint from walmart.

It worked fine. Eventually I broke it down and burned it but there was nothing wrong with it, I just didn't have space for it anymore and wasn't using it after a couple of years.

The only power tool I recall using was a circular saw.

Anyway if you're looking for a learning experience, I will say that even doing stuff that most knowledgeable people would tell you not to do, is still an interesting lesson.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

You can go paint and plywood and unsheathed hull. Use epoxy on the seams or polyurethane glue like cr mentions.

Not sure if that plan is available here..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:31 am
Anyway if you're looking for a learning experience, I will say that even doing stuff that most knowledgeable people would tell you not to do, is still an interesting lesson.
Right on!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Even if you use the wrong materials like cheap plywood and polyester resin, the boat will last a couple of seasons and the process is a good introduction to boat building.
I called her the Cheap Canoe because she was the cheapest real boat you could build but many complained about the name and when I published the longer version, I renamed her the Nice Canoe.

It's not a canoe btw, it's called a perissoire in French but I don't know of any precise translation.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Sunkenpunt
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Sunkenpunt »

Ok. I'll probably go with that. I'd be tickled if I got a couple years out of it!
I'm thinking if I get the first one floating then I'll be able to get epoxy and good plywood for the second one.

So from what Jaques said can I assume that I just follow the instructions but substitute polyester for epoxy? And it just won't have the longevity? Or will it need some extra support?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Just use polyester instead of epoxy. It will not be as strong, it will not bond as well and it will not last but it will float and move.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Sunkenpunt
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Sunkenpunt »

Ok. Thank you Jaques. I'm gonna try to do this. Thanks to everyone for the input. Now I'll give you guys a rest for awhile.