Corsair CR11 questions

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
martin.zg
New Poster
New Poster

Corsair CR11 questions

Post by martin.zg »

Hi, all!

I purchased plans for CR11, and after reading them, and reading some other builders post's, I still have some questions:
  1. bow mold size: I purchased download only option for plans, and there are no dimensions for bow mold, there is only template for large print. Can I get dimensions for bow mold?
  2. stem peace: plans show size for stem peace, but it is not mentioned in assembly sections. I noticed in other builders logs that it is omitted. I think I know where it is supposed to go, but I would like to be sure, so please, explain this detail.
  3. open stern: study plans mention option for open stern, but it is not described in plans. Are there plans for open stern, or I can just adjust D frame and deck?
  4. spinnaker: study plans mention spinnaker, but it is not shown in plans. Is the sail plan with spinnaker somewhere available? As a beginner I don't need it yet, but in future I might.
  5. outboard: plans don't mention outboard motor, but I would like to have an optional small outboard. Is the transom strong enough for small electric outboard motor (max 500W), or I need additional reinforcement?
Best regards,
Martin

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Corsair CR11 questions

Post by jacquesmm »

martin.zg wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:10 am
[*]bow mold size: I purchased download only option for plans, and there are no dimensions for bow mold, there is only template for large print. Can I get dimensions for bow mold?

This is taken from the full size pattern supplied with the plans.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

[*]stem peace: plans show size for stem peace, but it is not mentioned in assembly sections. I noticed in other builders logs that it is omitted. I think I know where it is supposed to go, but I would like to be sure, so please, explain this detail.
It's the stem, I see it in the perspective drawing of the construction sheet. Look at the bow, that triangle at the bow is the stem.
It is a nautical term, it's the bow piece.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

[*]open stern: study plans mention option for open stern, but it is not described in plans. Are there plans for open stern, or I can just adjust D frame and deck?
There is a deck between frame D and the transom. You can build the boat without that deck, some people like access there and leave it open. That is an open stern.
It's practical if you use a small motor, it gives you access to the wing nuts.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

martin.zg wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:10 am [*]spinnaker: study plans mention spinnaker, but it is not shown in plans. Is the sail plan with spinnaker somewhere available? As a beginner I don't need it yet, but in future I might.
[*]outboard: plans don't mention outboard motor, but I would like to have an optional small outboard. Is the transom strong enough for small electric outboard motor (max 500W), or I need additional reinforcement?
Spinnaker: if you ever want one, you will choose one that fits. You have the sail plan with the dimensions.
There are all kind of spinnakers but for this small boat, I do not recommend it, certainly not for a beginning sailor. Once you become familiar with sailing, you will know what size of spinnaker fits.
Or if you want it right away (not a good idea), bring the sail plan to a sailmaker and he will give you a choice of spinnakers.

Outboard: that little boat is too small for an outboard. I don't specify an outboard but, if you feel better with one, get a very small trolling motor and build the boat with an open deck. The transom can take a 500W motor. An outboard will be in the way of sailing, avoid it if possible. Sculling with a single oar is simple, cheaper and looks better.

martin.zg
New Poster
New Poster

Post by martin.zg »

Thanks, that was quick!

Best regards,
Martin