GV10 build and introduction

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Grandbassslayer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GV10 build and introduction

Post by Grandbassslayer »

Hello,

I have been lurking this site for a bit, we decided to build a GV10 to see if we are happy with the product and really our own ability. If this works well I am leaning towards a PH22 to replace my current boat. The GV10 has been ordered and me and my 9 year old son are excited to start on “his boat”. We ordered the CNC kit and the silvertip epoxy, I figured I would order it like I plan on the PH22. I am sure I will have a million dumb questions, but the “read first” section of the forum should be a big help.

Thank you
Scott

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GV10 build and introduction

Post by Jeff »

Scott, welcome to our Builders Forum!!! We very much look forward to watching you and your son build his GV10!!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

First welcome to our group! Building with your son will be a great thing to do.

As for the dumb questions the only one is the one not asked. You might get two different answers on some things but that does not mean either is wrong. More than one way to skin any cat. When you really need help as the designer and get his answer. That is the great thing about this site, you get it from the man :D

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

It'll be a terrific father/son project he'll always remember and I look forward to seeing pics of it progressing. No fear regarding your ability: goofs and recoveries are great confidence builders. Off hand I can't recall any mistake I didn't make. Eventually I coined the term "Dougstered", meaning did it wrong, went oops, and did it over better. I bet a lot of great things happen that way.

Dougster

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Welcome! And the only dumb question is the one not asked. You might want to buy a couple of yards of 6oz biax to apply to the bottom to get the feel of applying it for your PH22 build. You will be applying a lot of 12oz biax to it.

Have fun building the GV10 with your son. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Hi,

Read the tutorials about how to lay out panels at a bare minimum:

https://boatbuildercentral.com/support- ... w-them.pdf
https://boatbuildercentral.com/support- ... -frame.pdf

The big one is a must read too:

https://boatbuildercentral.com/support- ... ue-101.pdf

And some of videos at the bottom of the page:
https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/tutorials/

You'll have fun.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Grandbassslayer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Got everything unboxed and layer out on plastic. I filed all the puzzle pieces and dry fitted the sides and bottom. After I put the sides and bottoms together the next step is the frames. The instructions ask for thickened epoxy, is that what my gel magic is for?

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

No gelmagic is glue (well, epoxy glue). Thickened epoxy is epoxy with some wood flour mixed in to a consistency any where from honey to peanut butter, as needed. It can and often is used as glue as well and works just fine. It is very commonly used for fillets along joints. What is your intended use?

Dougster

Grandbassslayer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Plans call for thickened epoxy for the frames, I bought a complete kit assumed it had what needed, also when I lay the boat over the jig- no instructions for strongback jig assembly btw, I use the same product for all the zip tie seams as well. I have seen some gv10 builds on a jig but one of them looks like they didn’t use a jig?

cape man

Post by cape man »

Have never used it myself, but Gel magic is a thickened epoxy which replaces making your own with wood flour.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman