Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by cape man »

I would break out the grinder and replace.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:16 pm I took some simple winches off my Leisure, replaced with self'tailers,been sitting around for years. But they are out at the lake, may be a month before I get out there. If the stars align I'll get em to you.
Let me know what you have and the exchange rate :) I’d love to get something as simple as these as the idea of needless complexity makes me cringe.
cape man wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:02 am I would break out the grinder and replace.
I’m afraid that’s just about all that’s left. But I’m not sure “with what” or if I really never need the cabin tops. Right now everything is in cam cleats. Both port and starboard with 2 more winches on the mast. I’m thinking that I can route the one port side jib halyard to starboard (main, top jib, spin, fractional jib) through a clutch block. Then all I would have on port are the pole topping and downhaul. Remove the winches from the mast as every line would then be cockpit run. Then I only have to replace the bent sheet winch.

It is a shame that the current systems are so complex. I get it for a 2sp or a reduction. But a simple 1x ratchet shouldn’t need a ton of complexity.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Weird about the winches. But Jeff's offer looks like a great deal!
With regard to wiring: I am assuming you'll be stepping and unstepping the mast to transport. So why even have wiring to the masthead? There's nothing up there that's required and you don't need wind instruments.
Tony

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

terrulian wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:24 pm With regard to wiring: I am assuming you'll be stepping and unstepping the mast to transport. So why even have wiring to the masthead? There's nothing up there that's required and you don't need wind instruments.
My last 2 boats had a steaming light halfway up the mast and an anchor light at the mast head, both are required....I think.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:32 pm
terrulian wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:24 pm With regard to wiring: I am assuming you'll be stepping and unstepping the mast to transport. So why even have wiring to the masthead? There's nothing up there that's required and you don't need wind instruments.
My last 2 boats had a steaming light halfway up the mast and an anchor light at the mast head, both are required....I think.
There is no transport... she's a floating island with a 4' fin keel. While the mast is deck stepped it will only come down for any repair or long term storage. Up top we have the required safety stuff per Jeff as well as some ancient wind gear that is supposed to talk to some gauges in the cockpit. None of that works "right now" as the connectors and the wires are not ... connected or wired. While she's safe to sail, I would have to be on dock well before sun set.

I think I've figured out that the current winches would be equivalent to Harken Classic series in sizes 6 (mast and cabin top) and 8 (sheeting). Just about everything except that internal components measures the same.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

72 Colregs RULE 30:
Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground
(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round white
light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph
(a) of this Rule.

The anchor light doesn't need to be at the masthead, just visible all-round. Therefore, you can hang it from the boom when needed and run a wire to a 12-volt socket in the cabin.
You can have a windex at the top of the mast for wind direction, which you really only need downwind; and as for windspeed, that's only necessary for bragging. The boat will tell you when to reef.

Steaming light must be white and above the sidelights but not necessarily exactly 1/2 up the mast. It has an arc of 225 degrees, same as both port and starboard together. To avoid wiring, you can buy a battery operated stern light and black out 135 degrees, and then velcro it to the front of the mast. How often will you be sailing at night?

Getting wiring properly done inside a mast is doable but a bit of a pain. Just trying to save you some hassle. :D
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The wiring in mast actually looks good. I have t taken a batt up there to test things. I was actually planning to wait for the mast to be down to determine state of mast internals. That said, all the lights are built into the mast. It would be ideal to use what is there.

If I do lose the electrical in mast my plan was to use the 3/4 halyard (whisker topping lift, storm halyard) to pull a lamp. I’d like to do the cunliffe style oil lamp but wife is smarter and will enforce “use a battery you idiot”. Steaming light will be problematic as ... sailing. Jib will cover a large range of the visibility.

How much at night? Mrs has grand visions of leaving the dock in the evening and sailing through the night. That will leave her the days to lounge about the foredeck or the nearest beach. I expect reality will be a significant amount will be at night but not more than 25%. The entire point right now is “staycation”. The first 5 places she wants to sleep are within sight of the neighbors dock. That’s still 2hr sail and anchor time.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

terrulian wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:38 pm 72 Colregs RULE 30:
Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground
(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round white
light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph
(a) of this Rule.

The anchor light doesn't need to be at the masthead, just visible all-round. Therefore, you can hang it from the boom when needed and run a wire to a 12-volt socket in the cabin.
You can have a windex at the top of the mast for wind direction, which you really only need downwind; and as for windspeed, that's only necessary for bragging. The boat will tell you when to reef.

Steaming light must be white and above the sidelights but not necessarily exactly 1/2 up the mast. It has an arc of 225 degrees, same as both port and starboard together. To avoid wiring, you can buy a battery operated stern light and black out 135 degrees, and then velcro it to the front of the mast. How often will you be sailing at night?

Getting wiring properly done inside a mast is doable but a bit of a pain. Just trying to save you some hassle. :D

Yes. I was thinking along the same lines. Hoisting a battery powered led for the anchor light, and a stick on steaming light. The lights are required but in-mast wiring isn't neccessarily.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

If yer mast wiring is good, no problem. Somehow I was assuming it wasn't.
You don't use the steaming light while sailing so the jib can't be an issue for the steaming light...if I understood what you were referring to.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I’m unclear on when that steaming light is on. I thought it was on when underway at night when nav lights are one. Which never made sense because sails. I need to brush up on all that again.

Wiring problems with mast are currently just the connectors to the deck. Under the deck is a different story. That’s easy to fix though. I mean easy compared to wiring inside a 30’ tube.