23' SeaCraft Transom rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
john_b
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

23' SeaCraft Transom rebuild

Post by john_b »

I need a rough materials list so I can get started.
The boat is an 89 23' SeaCraft Sceptre, all original.
I want to fill in the transom, and put an Armstrong bracket on it.
I also need to replace the fuel tank platform, and reattach the stringers in a few places. The lamination was lame, and they have separated from the hull in a couple of places.
I am looking a 2 sheets of 3/4" for the transom, and one for the fuel tank deck, unless you have a better idea. Planning on using epoxy for most of it. I am going to build a livewell and cap for the transom out of regular glass, but will glue it all together with epoxy.

I need to fill some voids in the outer transom skin, than I would like to put at least one or 2 layers of 1 heavy cloth on the outer skin, and then will need 3-4 on to make the inner skin, and a later of mat.
What do you suggest for the fuel tank platform, and for reattaching the stringers?

Here are some pictures.

Here is the back of the boat

Here is a view of where the fuel tank deck needs to go, it is 105x28"

Here is a view of the transom

Here is the stingers in question

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

For your enclosure "cap" do you plan to box it in? What plans do you have for that large space in the stern?

john_b
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by john_b »

shine wrote:For your enclosure "cap" do you plan to box it in? What plans do you have for that large space in the stern?
For the cap, I plan on boxing it in. Probably put a couple big hatches built in on the inside, then put the cap on top. I am also putting a live well in there.

The large stern space used to be a live well, I am planing on converting it to a fish box. I will expand the existing live well compartment, and insulate it. I will need to put a bigger hatch cover, the live well one is 12x12", the new one will probably be 24x18".

john_b
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by john_b »

A few more details

Stringers
I would like to put 2 layers of reenforcement of the stringers, probably a 4" and a 8" strip with epoxy lamination. This is about 20' long, both sides.

Fuel platform/etc
I am looking at a 3/4" marine plywood platform, with a front and back piece running between the stringers, and about 16" high. I will coat all sides of these with epoxy. This will have to be attached to the sides of the stringers, probably witl 2 layers of reenforcement. This about 105" long, and 28" wide. I also need to tie the "sole" back to the stringers. When the boat was made, they put some type of adhesive putty on top of the stringers and laid the liner/sole on top. Most of this has loosened up over time, so I would like to put some adhesive between the stringers and liner, then put 2 layers of reenforcement between the lip that the fuel tank sits on, and the stringer underneath it. I am putting in a new gas tank, and would like to put down some 1/4" poly strips for it to sit on, and just foam in the 4 corners. What would you suggest for strips, and foam?

Transom
The boat has about an 8 foot beam, and a 4x8 sheet should fit ok. Like I said earlier, I would like to put 3 layers of reenforcement, and one of mat on the inner skin. I need to put 1-2 layers to build up the outside skin, and one of mat. What do I need to put between the 2 sheets of plywood?

Fish Box
What is the best way to insulate a fishbox? foam? what type?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

john_b wrote:A few more details

Stringers
I would like to put 2 layers of reenforcement of the stringers, probably a 4" and a 8" strip with epoxy lamination. This is about 20' long, both sides.
?
By this do you mean to re-tab the stringers to the hull where you see the cracking (missing fillet)? If so, yes use at least 2 layers of the 12 ox Biax tape with epoxy, edges of each layer offset

Fuel platform/etc :

This sounds good, make sure you tab it in well with the biax tape, it will want to move as it now will act like a beam holding the two stringers together.

Im not sure what you mean by "poly strip" but use epoxy to bond the sole down tot the stringers.

The tank should rest on strips of neoprene, you can 5200 glue these down to the "platform"

Transom,

What you describe is fine IF the transom is enclosed transom is "boxed". 4 layers of DB1700 for the new inside skin. More glass on the outside skin is a good idea, lets say one layer of 1708. No need for glass on the inside when using epoxy (it does not participate in makig the transom any stiffer when its on the inside)

insulation: PU foam is the easiest, either pour foam of sheet foam.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

And nice overlaps everywhere, over the sides and bottom, nice tabbing of the stringers to transom just as Joel shows it in his Aquasport rebuild thread.
Foam or plywood, the principle is the same.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

john_b
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by john_b »

neoprene is the poly strip I was talking about.
Could you guys work up a Material list and cost, and PM it to me. I would like to pick it up Wed or Thurs,
Thanks

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I cannot give an accurate material list without a lot of measurements.

What you need:

Enough wood for you transom and fuel tank support. 2 lyaers of 3/4" will work for the transom as we discussed. The structure to box in the transom can be made from 3/4" meranti as well.

You will need at least one roll of 12oz Biaxial tape, 5 lbs of Wood flour for glue and fillets, minimum 3 gallons of epoxy, enough 17 oz 45/45 50" wide to make the inside skin and come up the sides and bottom, enough 1708 50" wide to lay into the old outside skin.

Its all here and in stock. I will not be here the rest of the week and most of next, but we are open and Jacques will be able to help. Just please give us a ring before you come down. Thanks.

Joel

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

If you drive to Vero Beach to pick up, please try to visit us in the morning.
I will need about half an hour to calculate what you need.

What Joel estimate will allow you to start but to complete the whole transom, you will need much more resin that 3 gallons, I estimate 9 gallons.
To finish the boxes in the transom you will also need a 2nd roll of biaxial tape.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

john_b
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by john_b »

The stringers I am reattaching are about 20' each, times 2
The fuel tank deck will be 105" x 28" or about 19 sq ft, both sides.
The fuel tank lip I want to tie to the striners is about 150", times 2
The transom will be 2 4x8' sheets of plywood, with the lamination Each layer in the transom will be about 38 sq ft using the schedule discussed above, and another sheet for the fuel tank platform.
I will probably need at least a quart or 2 of quick fair for the cap and transom.
I already have most of the materials for the cap and live well, I will just pick up an extra gallon of epoxy to glue it, and some other misc pieces together, such as knee braces, etc.
Which epoxy that you carry do you suggest, and I would guess I need the slowest setting catylist since I am working in Florida.
I would like to try and pick up the stuff on Thurs if possible.