P-14 1958 CLASSIC GLASS RENOVATION

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
txtrailerdaddy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: P-14 1958 CLASSIC GLASS RENOVATION

Post by txtrailerdaddy »

Just curious, what paint did you use? I see that you had put down sterling roll & tip and were not happy with the results. I just finished the graphite/epoxy and am not crazy about how it looks. Because of this, I'm not so sure I want to roll the paint. I have painted with a gun in the past and would feel more comfortable with that. I talked to a local paint/body shop that I know have done some boats, but he's insane on his pricing. Also, he puts down Automotive paint, and then clearcoats with a marine grade. I've seen his work. It looks fantastic, but I'm not so sure it is durable. I need to make some decisions in the near future and want to avoid re-doing. TXT
I cut it twice, and it is still too short!
viewtopic.php?t=14257

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

txtrailerdaddy wrote:Just curious, what paint did you use? I see that you had put down sterling roll & tip and were not happy with the results. I just finished the graphite/epoxy and am not crazy about how it looks. Because of this, I'm not so sure I want to roll the paint. I have painted with a gun in the past and would feel more comfortable with that. I talked to a local paint/body shop that I know have done some boats, but he's insane on his pricing. Also, he puts down Automotive paint, and then clearcoats with a marine grade. I've seen his work. It looks fantastic, but I'm not so sure it is durable. I need to make some decisions in the near future and want to avoid re-doing. TXT
pleas do not compare rolling and tipping paint with rolling our epoxy/graphite. Its not nearly the same thing in terms of what you can expect in terms of finish. You cant get perfect with epoxy graphite, paint is MUCH easier.

txtrailerdaddy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by txtrailerdaddy »

shine wrote:please do not compare rolling and tipping paint with rolling our epoxy/graphite. Its not nearly the same thing in terms of what you can expect in terms of finish. You cant get perfect with epoxy graphite, paint is MUCH easier.
I'm not, really. I'm sure it is applicator error/lack of experience on my part. I am planning to paint the console as well. With more angles, insides of hatches, etc. I am thinking it would be better/easier to shoot it. While I'm not so picky about the bottom, or even the inside of the boat, I would like to have good results with the console and the sides... I imagine the potential for sags is greater on shooting it than rolling and tipping. However, since I can't talk Mad Dog into coming over and doing mine, since he's gotten all that practice on his :lol: , I have to rely on me :help: TXT
viewtopic.php?t=14257

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

txtrailerdaddy wrote:However, since I can't talk Mad Dog into coming over and doing mine, since he's gotten all that practice on his TXT
:) We both know you don't want ME painting anything....

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

MTECHMARINE
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MTECHMARINE »

txtrailerdaddy wrote:
shine wrote:please do not compare rolling and tipping paint with rolling our epoxy/graphite. Its not nearly the same thing in terms of what you can expect in terms of finish. You cant get perfect with epoxy graphite, paint is MUCH easier.
I'm not, really. I'm sure it is applicator error/lack of experience on my part. I am planning to paint the console as well. With more angles, insides of hatches, etc. I am thinking it would be better/easier to shoot it. While I'm not so picky about the bottom, or even the inside of the boat, I would like to have good results with the console and the sides... I imagine the potential for sags is greater on shooting it than rolling and tipping. However, since I can't talk Mad Dog into coming over and doing mine, since he's gotten all that practice on his :lol: , I have to rely on me :help: TXT
I agree, the roll and tip is probably a good way to go with some experience or flat surface /temperature controlled environments. Properly thinned and applied it should be fine. My poor job was NOT the fault of the paint!! I have seen some real good results here on this forum. My graphite job has been wet sanded to matte and I had intended to do that from the git go.I had never tried roll /tip and application to vertical surfaces in an unheated outside location certainly does not help. I have painted a bit with spray and felt much more comfortable using this method.

Bear in mind here I DO NOT intend to leave this boat in the water, not even outside without cover. Paint being an unknown area for me these days I bought the best stuff I could find - PPG Deltron 2000 base coat and 3000 clear coat. It was (pricey but) easy to use, I didn't get run one altho there are a couple areas of roughness in the clear. At the instant I started to clear coat, the wind picked up and was a real problem. Got 'er done tho. :) Dries fast, tack free in minutes just like acrylic enamel. YOU MUST USE proper mask and cover for that clear!

FINALLY flipped her back over yesterday the 17th. been upside down since November 25th 2008.

Sanded the deck with longboard some this PM, now we are getting closer.
Last edited by MTECHMARINE on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txtrailerdaddy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by txtrailerdaddy »

It's looking good! I know mine wasn't upside down very long, but it sure is a good feeling to turn it back over. I feel like I can just check something else off the list. TXT
viewtopic.php?t=14257

MTECHMARINE
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MTECHMARINE »

After a couple evenings masking work I sprayed on a coat of system3 primer which revealed a lot of unfilled gel coat cracks. Applied 3M acryblue surfacing putty and now its looking good. With any luck we will put more primer on this evening and the finish coat on this weekend.
Sure have learned a lot about current methods on this forum and the guys at Boat Builder Cantral, been quite a learning experience. Now if I could just talk Gary out of this one:

It's a 1959 Glastron Seaflite 17 with twin Merc MK55's, I have gone thru both motors replacing as required, the 2 have very little running time. A joy to work on! Waiting for some starters to convert them from manual to Elecric start. :P
Last edited by MTECHMARINE on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTECHMARINE
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

A death in the "family".

Post by MTECHMARINE »

Jeeze guys, Gary had a heart attack Saturday just B4 leaving to come visit me. They Lifeflighted him to Gulf Breeze Baptist hospital but he didn't make it. SO take every day as a gift and enjoy it because you never know whats next. :(

He had over 35 boats from the 50's, all the good stuff. And hardly got to enjoy any of it. A great guy, I will really miss him.

I laid the last coat of primer on the deck and finally all the flaws are gone. I was all ready to paint today but the power went out so we will paint next weekend.

Shine, will a dustoff with 600 be OK for the finish coat over the SYS3 primer? I'm going to have to wait over 72 hours.

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

I'm sorry for your loss. Good friends are hard to come by.

MD :cry:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend :(

300 grit will be enough over the primer.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose