P-14 1958 CLASSIC GLASS RENOVATION

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: P-14 1958 CLASSIC GLASS RENOVATION

Post by cape man »

Just found this thread. Never spent anytime on the Repair Rebuild section. WOW!!!! What a fantastic job you have done. That will be a show stopper with that engine, and the boat will be stronger than when built. Thanks for sharing all this. Inspiring. Thought I'd post these together for you...

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

MTECHMARINE
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MTECHMARINE »

Thank you all so much for the kind words!

The weather here has been really hot and muggy so not a lot more has been done on the boat. I have put the steering console together and installed it to the left hand side of the centerdeck. Got the steering hoses out of the box and discovered that they use different tube fittings than I have so there will be a delay in installing the steering while I obtain them. I also have to make up some sort of attach hardware to mount the cylinder and link back arm as the older motors being used have no allowance for the installation of motor mounted steering other than cable and pulley!

Looking over my old trailer it appears I'm gonna have to go thru it too. Bought some 12 inch wheels to replace the old rotted 8's. When I installed 'em - Sitting around, the springs rusted between leafs and one actually broke from the pressure. I don't like the bunk supports either. Need to lower it down so the CG improves as well as appearance. The good news is there is a trailer manufacturer very close to the house where I can git 'er done.

I'll post some more pics soon.

MTECHMARINE
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MTECHMARINE »

"Dash" for the rear steering.

Boy, has this summer been a scorcher! I have been working on this boat for over a year now. I have sent out portions of the hydraulic steering to be reworked to accomodate the early model motors I'll be running on this boat. As soon as they get back we will be rigging the MOD Mark50 for a test run!
Varnished the inside of the natural wood portion of the hull. Along that line, the varnish I used seems to be awfully soft - I used spar varnish rather than polyurethane, think I shoulda' used the latter. :roll: Also read recently that application of paint and varnish over epoxy amines on the surface will sometimes cause the overcoat not to dry properly. I did wash and sand the surfaces 1st - the boat sat for several months B4 I coated it. It seems to be OK, only time will tell.

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Great looking build/restoration
Daddy

cape man

Post by cape man »

You are right about the spar versus urethane varnish, but a good spar varnish is so pretty! If you have to redo it too often replace it with a urethane. Heck its only a lot of detailed, boring, tiresome sanding! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

MTECHMARINE
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MTECHMARINE »

Had a banner year with the website, but between times been piecing the rig together. Thought you might enjoy a shot of the MOD MK50 initial run on 10/29. After getting a couple bugs out I ran it for about 30 minutes on the red dyno, idles like a fishing motor. We will be heading for the AOMCI classic and antique meet on lake Shipp, Winter Haven FL just south of Orlando on the 13th for the maiden voyage. If you are in the area come by the park, you will see a lot of nifty rigs.

Hope you enjoy the shots!

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

Great job man. A double restoration that looks fantastic. I really appreciate the red dyno! Mine just happens to be pink (formally a daughter's toy tub.)

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

MTECHMARINE
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: P-14 CLASSIC GLASS IS ON THE WATER!!

Post by MTECHMARINE »

The final chapter - almost. Redid the trailer - - longer tongue, big rear roller, new winch support, a tongue jack, set of side guides. Got the seats done and tonneau cover for the front. Ready to go!! :D

Trailered the rig to the AOMCI meet at lake Shipp in Winter Haven, right down the road from Cypress Gardens. This water park has fallen on hard times - was closed for a time, reopened and now I see it's closed again. Too bad, this place was a famous skiing and boating show place forever. :cry:
Everything worked just fine, only problem is the propeller I had is about 3 inches too high in pitch and the MOD MK50 couldn't really get up on the power band. Using avgas and going easy on the advance it was ok to run so we put about 6 gallons thru it. Best part was turning 13 year old Haven loose with it. I remember when I was that age and the freedom I experienced out in a boat. Comes full circle!! :D :D

THANKS FOR LOOKIN! BEST TO ALL THE GANG AT BOAT BUILDER CENTRAL, WITHOUT THEIR HELP THIS WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE.

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Beautiful all around :!: :!: :!:
Daddy

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »