Page 1 of 1

1984 IMP Y215SC

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:37 pm
by series60
07/31/2009 Preparing to drag home a 1984 IMP Y215SC 21" 6' cuddy-cabin.
HIN #XMPL7346M84K
Engine: 305 Chevy 225HP - Mercruiser Alpha 1. This is the only reason I bought and paid dearly for a boat in such sad shape. This will be my 4th floor restoration. 3 on my own and 1 way back with my dad on a 1962 Glaspar SeaFair sedan. Not real proud of the ones I did. Really want to do this one right but budget constraints will slow progress. Schedule: Lake ready in 6 months from start of demolition and cleaning out. Need to replace much of the wiring. Several owners have added and removed more then the boat ever came with.

I need to replace the sole and stringers. Seating options to be explored. 40-50 gal aluminum fuel tank appears to be in good shape. Must replace fuel hose (2") with USCG approved fueling hose. I have room to move fuel tank a few inches forward if so desired. Option to save money on the cost of the new fuel hose: relocate fill cap to side from stern. If not it will require 12' (vs - 6') of 2" USCG approved fueling hose $$$. Momma said she will help with wood restoration .This boat will be stored in my back yard on the trailer. It's life has been all saltwater. Nasty anti-fouling paint on'er bottom. One exhaust manifold is leaking. Engine mountings appear to be sound but everything else will be cleared away. Will have pictures. Last owner said "it was a little tail heavy with 4 aboard and sitting in the back". Option to move fuel tank forward some.

Please excuse the ramblings of man with many hats.

William Merrick
14637 Quinnault Rd.
Apple Valley, CA 92307

Re: 1984 IMP X215SC

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:05 pm
by series60
I'm bad - miss typed the model number in my first post. It is a IMP X215SC cuddy cabin. This is my first rebuild update Aug. 09, 2009. Started removing everything down to the hull. Big job here. The manufacture, after laying up the hull, added end grain balsa core material. This layer of balsa material is now completely saturated and as I pry, saw and grind my way through it all, the pieces come up dripping wet and stinking like the downwind side of Newport Pier! The boat hasn't been in the water for over two years. This picture is of the balsa material looking at it from were it was attached to the hull.

In the years since the boat was new, two different owners have tried to "FIX THE FLOOR" with no success. Scab patch - polyester over polyester - over polyester and 'press and stick' floor tile. Yes the first botched patch job included a piece of floor tile to patch of a very big air bubble in the hull.

Second guy came along and added lots of 2X6 support structure

attaching where he could with 4" galvanized lag bolts.

Most of the cloth never got enough resin to even wet the corners .
This is where I stand at the end of the second day of demolition.

To be continued.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:53 pm
by series60
As I get further into the tear down I discover new and even more odd items. As the picture hopefully will show, I have uncovered some interesting boat building materials other seamen have tried to use. It appears that during one of the two sole repairs much of the balsa material the factory used was replaced with what looks to me like small 1/4" plywood squares (about 10-12" and kind of square). The gray stuff at the top of the picture appears to be Henry's mobile home roof patch or something to that nature.

I finished the major tear down today with the engine well being exposed for inspection. Things seem sound and although I know the factory flooring under the engine well is saturated and further inspection will be required.

Re: 1984 IMP Y215SC

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:10 am
by tech_support
Welcome, and thank you for posting pictures. The "corrugated stuff" is actually a end grain balsa core. Its very strong until it gets wet and rots. It looks like the entire hull bottom is cored with end grain.

You have to replace the core before adding back a new layer of glass (new inside skin). The alternative is to lay in new fiberglass and make the hull solid glass from the chine down. Solid glass will be heavier, but less work (you just laminate several layers of heavy Biax down until you reach you desired hull thickness).

the thing right now is to decide if this boat is worth the repair. If you did not have to deal with the cored hull, it would be an easy rebuild. Both options (re-coring and going with more glass) are going to be relatively expensive and double the cost of the rebuild

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:05 am
by series60
Thanks shine. I will be going with new cloth and epoxy to build up the hull. You mentioned "(you just laminate several layers of heavy Biax down until you reach you desired hull thickness)". Are you suggesting I add Biax and epoxy up to the original level which was something in the neighborhood of a 1/4". That would be a lot of added weight. I will be adding stringers and some substructure before going back on with the sole. Everything encapsulated. Given the amount of trash I have removed, adding some weight back won't be too big of a problem. This is just one pile. Not shown are 2 full curbside trash cans.

Did I read where you indicated not to leave screws in place after any gluing has taken place?

Thanks again and I will try to keep images coming as progress proceeds.

Bill

PS: par said to drop his name.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:49 am
by gk108
By the time you replace all of that old patch work, you'll probably end up with a boat that is lighter than it was when you took it out of the water for rebuild. Getting rid of the waterlogged balsa and previous repair junk amounts to a lot of weight. Eliminating those lag bolts probably saves you a pound right there. 8O :lol:

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:35 pm
by series60
Update: Oct 11, 2009
Patched 4 holes outside of hull. Added additional patch to inside of hull before first layer of 17oz biax in cuddy. This stuff really soaks up the epoxy. That 4'x6' piece of cloth used 1 1/2 gals of epoxy. I have another piece about the same size to layup aft of this piece. Time to order more epoxy.
Headliner in cuddy was removed because of very unpleasant smells. Did a little cleanup of the rough glass work and then painted everything white. I didn't paint the areas yet to be glassed. Anchor locker is ready to be encapsulated and glassed in. Installed new cabin light and speaker wires. Added drain to anchor locker.

I have done a complete wiring overhaul with the removal of lots of wiring that went NO WHERE! Added a common grounding panel behind dash, along with new 10 gauge power wire down both sides for the new 2 battery system. Starboard battery for engine, lights, bulge pump and blower. Port battery for radios, GPS, fish finder and bait pump.

To be continued: