Fitz 21 CC Transom Stringer Sole R&R

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Fitz 21 CC Transom Stringer Sole R&R

Post by FitzFisher »

T-Top is under construction!
The plan is to powder coat it black and install a light gray canvas top with a sewed in horseshoe flap so I can zip I back and stand on the leaning post for a better view. Still hoping for an early June splash
You are what you is! And I is Done!

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

The T-Top is on the boat and temporarily bolted down for the trip back to Tampa.
I'm really happy with the design and am glad the guys down there talked me into the Black Powder Coat
I also really like the Canvas work and the Grey canvas with the black piping. My buds talked me out of putting the giant electronics back in as well, cause it really ,limited my view(I'm 6'4") . It make for a much cleaner install. I may add a small custom box up there at some point but for now I'm going to try to live without it. Note the rod holders on the inside of the hoop. TRICK!
If anyone is in need of custom aluminum fabrication in the SW Florida area, Let me know and I'll get you in touch with my friend.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NOTHING ELSE MATTERS »

She looks great !!!

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Thanks NEM! I hope to have it painted in another week or so, and then I'll hang the motor. Hopefully in time for my Keys Vacation the week of July 12. Kinda feeling the pressure....

Stay tuned!

How is your rebuild coming? Haven't seen any updates in a while...

wildbill
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wildbill »

Looking really nice!!!! 8) 8) 8)

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Hey guys. I am having trouble finding someone in Florida that can spray Sterling Yacht paint. :doh: :help: :help: :doh: I don't have the time to hand paint 3 coats of both sides of this boat. I am tired of picking bugs out of the paint and sanding out my flubs and runs. Does anyone know: A) if you absolutely have to use supplied fresh air to spray this? I have had a lot of paint guys look at me like I am crazy when I say it has to be that way. (i don't want a dead painter half way through my job)
B) A good reputable painter that will take this on? I have all the materials and will have it ready to tape and squirt. I
ll travel a little if need be.... :doh: :help: :help: :doh:

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I can't answer specifically about painters, but it seems like what you are looking for is not too different from what auto painters do. They'd need to be set up with a spray booth big enough for your boat. Seems like I've seen another builder that went that route- no idea what part of the country he was in, though. There was another builder who jury rigged his own spray booth with exhaust fan and air filters, he felt it worked well.

What about reconsidering the Sterling and using the EMC paint?
Hank

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

So after some more reading. A supplied air system is not completely necessary, but the proper filters for a mask respirator are very important. I think it was the Lockheed site that detailed which paint pre-filters etc to use. I found a guy who is comfortable with shooting it and it should go to the spray boot this week sometime.

In the meantime, I have been working every spare minute to get this baby ready for the Keys next month. The t-Top is completely outfitted and ready to be installed (after paint). I mounted a white LED to the rear of the top to illuminate the baitwell area, and another will go on a separate switch for the front deck. Also mounted a map light and the VHF on the flat overhead bar on the top. If you look close you can see I mounted a terminal block on top of the bar help keep the wiring straight.

I have also been finalizing the console and have the AM/FM antenna on top of the console in the corner by the windshield, Finished off some more wiring and installed the new batteries, and have been applying the KIWI Grip to the decks. Really like this stuff. Tape it, Scuff it , clean it, trowel it on evenly and roll it out. Don't forget to pull tape very soon, especially in hot weather as it is very temperature sensitive.
I
I had to roll on a couple of more coats of primer on the starboard side because I got a little too aggressive with the sander the first time around, so today I will hit it with the 220-320 on the DA and hopefully it will go out for paint. Gonna try to finish up the decks today too.
Stay Tuned.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Mighty fine restoration job :!: 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Thanks Larry!. That means a lot coming from an expert and Pro like yourself. I have been inspired by watching all of you guys on the website. Some great builders on here.

Tom