Fitz 21 CC Transom Stringer Sole R&R

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Fitz 21 CC Transom Stringer Sole R&R

Post by FitzFisher »

Thanks Jeater. It hasn't been easy, but I have done a few of these and the payoff of having things done exactly how you want them done is worth it to me. I have always been involved with building one thing or another, race cars, motors, buggies, etc, so I am lost without a project. I have another of my boats I can use when I want to go so I am not starved for fishing or boating but am really looking forward to getting this old girl on the water again (so is my wife, she doesn't like the small flats boat as much). This crew will definitely help you get to your goal. I really did weigh my options knowing that I would likely have $15 -20K in this thing by the time I go it done and repowered, but I couldn't find anything I really liked for that money. I know this hull well and know it will do everything I ask it to from nearshore to 30+ offshore no problem. I always tell people, make sure you really really Love that hull design before you commit to the rebuild. The joy of doing one right is amazing, but the regret of wishing you had spent your time and money on a different hull would surely sting....It is not something to jump into blindly. But for me this is the type of work/hobby that lets me focus my energy on something constructive that will payoff for the rest of my life ( I don't think I will outlive this one)....no work worry intrusions or other negativity....Very ZEN! One last thing...don't be afraid to take a break from it now and then. You don't want to get burned out on it. Make some lists and get a plan book and work on one segment at a time, knocking stuff off your list as you go. One day you will ride proud atop the waves in your reborn beauty! That smile takes a long time to wash off!
Party on!
TG
You are what you is! And I is Done!

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That was very well said, I agree with every word 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

well put!

for your console angle idea.... i have done it that way (made fiberglass 90's) on the aqua-sport, worked well. On the seacraft I used aluminum angle and through bolted. Neither console is going anywhere without the deck and maybe hull with it.

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Thanks Larry and Shine!

I am having trouble deciding if I should do a bunch of the console work before I mount it, or get it in the boat and finish the glass and paint work and then do the rigging...I need to make some doors and hatches, so I guess it would be easier to make all that and get it test fitted before I stick it in the boat....

Also, if I get the floor all faired out and in primer (excepth where the cnsole is getting glassed in.), is it going to be ok to walk around on it for a while before I get the topside coat on it? I am having trouble figuring out where to go next.....

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I guess it would be easier to make all that and get it test fitted before I stick it in the boat....
you bet, much easier. But you can only do so much until it sin the boat. You can mount the electronics and switches, but running the wires you sort of need to know the exact lengths to run.
Also, if I get the floor all faired out and in primer (excepth where the cnsole is getting glassed in.), is it going to be ok to walk around on it for a while before I get the topside coat on it? I am having trouble figuring out where to go next.....
That is a good idea. just put down some kraft paper or cardboard all over the decks while you rig. Tape a cut in half cardboard box over the gunnels where you get in and out, it will keep 5200 off your gunnels.

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Yeah that will work! I have plenty of small jobs that I can do while I am outfitting the console and planning all of that wiring etc. I need to shift gears a bit and start thinking about all the rigging that needs to happen under there. Ouch...better get out the drawing board...
Sure is hard to believe I've gone from this
to this

in only 38 months!

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

for your console angle idea.... i have done it that way (made fiberglass 90's) on the aqua-sport, worked well. On the seacraft I used aluminum angle and through bolted. Neither console is going anywhere without the deck and maybe hull with it.
:doh: :help: I am having second thoughts about glassing in the console. Mainly because it is going to slow me down on a lot of the stuff that needs to be done. Logistically, it is a pain. Also ,you never know when it might need to come up. So I am thinking that if I made some stout 90 degree fiberglass angles, and glued those down to the sole, and then through bolted the console to the Angles (with a decent bead of 5200 under the perimeter) I could achieve my goal of not screwing anything else into the sole unless absolutely necessary. I guess I could do an overdrill and fill technique on the angle pieces on the inside, so it wouldn't just be pulling on the surface glass coat. PLus that area will be a whole lot drier than the outside flange where the screws were previously. What do you think? :doh: :help:

:doh: :help: Or do I just glass some 90's to the console on the inside, and bolt those into the overdrilled lugs in the floor? :doh: :help:

Pro's & Cons? Anyone?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

That will work too.

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

I am going to glass the angles down on the inside and bolt through from the sides with some flat aluminum plates on the inside and nylocks. I am making the 3 inch angles by using the inside of a heavy cardboard box as a form (covered in packing tape). Each one has three layers of 1708 and three layers of roving. I haven't measured them yet but they feel pretty strong. I feel like it is going to work out pretty well and let me move forward with finishing the floor and get some things done on the console before I have to permanently mount it. Stay tuned for some pix this weekend.

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

I got my mounting angles made (4 layers roving and 4 layers 1708) and glued them down
Then primed the area that will be on the inside of the console. Didn't even fair it and it looks pretty good
Then faired the foredeck (2nd go around)
And rolled on a good coat of primer

I got out there tonight (9-15) and rolled on a second coat and sanded the next third of the sole to get ready for fairing putty. It started raining though and shut me down. Sure do love the look of these areas primed out. Very motivating!