Fitz 21 CC Transom Stringer Sole R&R

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Fitz 21 CC Transom Stringer Sole R&R

Post by Cracker Larry »

Still building a GF18. Moving slow in the heat, but still moving :D http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=460 Doing a little fishing too when I can.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

10:00 am Sunday: I am making my 2nd lap with the sander and don't have too much more major filling to do, so I should see some primer on the gunwales today...stay tuned.

7:00 pm I got about 5 hours in before the rain hit and finished sanding the first layer of fairing putty. I then got a complete lap in of the second round of putty. I used only 2 small batches. I figured out that if you don't keep it pretty loose, it will develop air holes and then need to be hit again after sanding. I finished off with about 1/4 of a lap around on the final sand. So as soon as I finish that lap, I am going to hit it with a coat of primer.

The plan is to use the shopvac and brush tip to suck up as much dust as possible, wipe it down with denatured alcohol, hit it with a tack rag and then roll it on. :doh: :help: Does that sound like a good plan?? I am no painter, so I am open to all suggestions or pointers. I thought about hosing it all down, but then I have to wait till it all dries out. What is the best way to get all the dust cleaned up prior to painting?? :doh: :help:
You are what you is! And I is Done!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

The plan is to use the shopvac and brush tip to suck up as much dust as possible, wipe it down with denatured alcohol, hit it with a tack rag and then roll it on.
Thats what i do. You dont have to be so careful with dust for the primer, I just use a brush to make sure all the crevasses are clear so the primer can latch on well
What is the best way to get all the dust cleaned up prior to painting??
Well if you an inclosed area, you can vacuum really well, then hose down, then shut the door overnight and let everything settle out, then a final wipe down. That is the best I can do in a shop and not making a true paint room/booth.

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Thanks Shine. I am outside under a carport roof, so I guess I'll have to try the vacuum and hose down method and lots of wipe down. Got rained out again tonight...I don't get home by 6 pm very often, so it's a drag losing a couple of hours...

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Well I finally got the last of the sanding and fairing done on the inside and top of the gunwales, and I am really happy with how the S3 primer worked out. Super easy to use and laid down nice over the fairing work. This stuff hides a lOT!
These are the times when you can finally see all you hard work come to fruition!
Can't wait to get the transom done and get the console installed.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

hese are the times when you can finally see all you hard work come to fruition!
very fun to lay down that first coat of primer and see everything as one part :!: :)

gw204
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gw204 »

Looks great!!!! :)
Brian
St. Leonard, MD
1980 Wenzel 1400
2003 Maycraft 1800 Skiff

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NOTHING ELSE MATTERS »

That is just about where i am. I'll try to post pictures tonight. I was away for a few weeks to Greece and had so much fun that i don't want to go back to my regular work or working on the boat, i got spoiled. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yours looks great BTW.

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Thanks guys! I am working on the console now. Filling holes and getting ready to glass in.

:doh: :help: I am thinking of making some heavy fiberglass angles and gluing those to the sole as guides for the placement of the console. I can glue them to the console from the Inside when I install it. But I have a question or two.....should I just do a couple of the angle "guides", and then tape it in completely inside and out, or do several guides and then just do the big tape up from the outside? Also, I want to cut most of the "foot" around the bottom to make it easier to get a good transition and tape it for a good clean install. :doh: :help: See the pic below Image
I think if I leave about a 1/4 inch of the bottom that will help keep the rigidity and shape of the console and still make it easy to get a good fillet. :doh: :help: What is the best way to glass in a console? :doh: :help:
Last edited by FitzFisher on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jeater25

Post by jeater25 »

Dude I am so impressed with your willingness to push on. Your rig looks great. I have been following your threads for at least a year and a half. Now I am fixing to start a stringer/sole refurb on a 20' Bayhawk that too is about 20 years old. I am not going to lie to you, I'm alittle worried but the help of your thread and seeing how helpful the people on here are I am ready!!!! :?