Fitz 21 CC Transom Stringer Sole R&R

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
doug42190
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Fitz 21 CC Transom Stringer Sole R&R

Post by doug42190 »

Fitz,
You really rocked once you got back to it! That whole boat looks amazing! The leaning post looks very natural right where it is -- I have no idea if that was intentional or accident but it is perfect. The paint job really turned out nice. The sanding and grinding and fairing really made all of the difference. I will be picking your brain once I get closer to that point -- later this year -- I am committed to finishing and splashing this year.
I will copy your idea of putting the console in the air to rig it -- I had thought about turning it upside down or some such nonsense but you have the right idea. Those transom boxes look good -- I may have missed it but what did you do on the inside of them? Shelves? Maybe you haven't gotten that far yet.
The only thing I saw that I wonder about was in your wiring -- it looked good but I remember reading on some site somewhere about making a "drop loop" with wires so that water can't run down a wire and into your fuse panel/terminals, etc. Sounds like a good idea, but the way your console, etc. is mounted, there may be less of a chance of water getting in -- just a thought and probably not a big deal -- everything else that I see makes me hope I can attain that level when mine hits the water again.
So stay after it. How about that engine -- any news on it? Compression, etc.? Looks really sharp! I read something about them, too where someone made a comment about the shifting rod not being stainless on some earlier models -- like in the 90's that sometimes was a problem, but I haven't heard any complaints along those lines about 2000 and up. What I have heard is very much like Shine said -- they are bullet proof.

Hang in there and get it wet.
Doug

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Thanks Doug. I am determined to get it done before the May tarpon Run. I am glad that some of my ideas may help others out. I like the idea of the drop loop. I'll see if I can work that in. I do hope to have the transom painted this weekend and get the motor and jack plate mounted next week. It checks out perfect on the compression and fuel pressure etc. and fires up and runs like a top on the stand. Hopefully I won't have to work out too many kinks. I am finishing up the bait-well install this week as well. I had to modify the plumbing layout slightly, but all my planning in the early stages has things lining up where they need to be.
Onward!
You are what you is! And I is Done!

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

So I have a question for the board... :help: :doh: How should I finish off the transition/edge between the transom and splashwell. Should I find some vinyl corner molding and just cut the miters to get as good of a fit as I can on both edges? Metal? As you can see here, it has pretty rounded bends and edges, so it's a little tough. I could just have the color change be at the edge of the back , but it is hard to get a real clean tape edge there, plus I want some scuff protection since that's where folks step getting in the boat.

the edges of the transom have alll been wrapped very well with cloth so I am not worried about the integrity of seam itself,....maybe just some non-skid tape??? :doh: :help: :doh: All ideas welcome..
thanks,
\Tom

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I would roll a strip of kiwigrip over it, it will give abrasion protection to the paint and also keep people from slipping and hitting their foot on your steering

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Thanks Shine! I think that would look good too. Done! :D :D

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

The Transom Rigging is complete. YEah! Time to work on painting the rest of the hull....fun fun fun...
the color above the waterline is the Sterling Graystone. Very subtle but I like it more all the time. Transportation White below, is the same I used on the rest of it up till now.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NOTHING ELSE MATTERS »

She is looking good !!!!!!!!!!!

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

FitzFisher wrote:The Transom Rigging is complete. YEah! Time to work on painting the rest of the hull....fun fun fun...
the color above the waterline is the Sterling Graystone. Very subtle but I like it more all the time. Transportation White below, is the same I used on the rest of it up till now.
I like that grey and white color scheme 8)

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

A few more pix as paint prep proceeds (say that three times) one side done in 3 coats of primer after hitting the old blue gel coat with a good round of 120G on the DA. I finally pulled it out to get some good pix. Should finish the priming this weekend.

Mt buddy Vince has started the T-top https://www.facebook.com/maggiomarine If you are in the Naples Ft. Myers area and need some aluminum fab, give him a call

Gonna be close on the June 1 splash, but I'll keep after it...
Cheers!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

sharp looking boat 8)