O'Day 20 Rebuild and Refit

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: O'Day 20 Rebuild and Refit

Post by gk108 »

Weather, work (pardon the four letter word) and all of that other stuff let up for a while and I had time to get back on the motor mount. My other excuse is that I'm not much of a tunnel rat and inchworming my way under the cockpit repeatedly isn't a fun part of this project.
Back at the back is the new backing for the bracket.

Here's a little better view.

I had to cut some kerfs in the backing plate to make it draw up to the slight camber of the transom. This is a bit of afterthought engineering. If I had it to do over again, I'd build the gusset into the stringer. It's probably overkill, anyway, but it just seemed like a good place for a brace. 8)
CC, D15, V10

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Motor mount is dry fit and the wedges ready to fair.

Next up is the backstay chainplate. O'Day used the Rig-Rite CP-84-33X 3 hole T-shaped chainplate. I'm not sure how they assembled this part. The plate is trapped in place by the plywood backing for the rudder gudgeons. It's on the two bolts at the top of this picture, made during demolition.

The two bolts go through the hull/deck joint and the whole thing has always made me a little nervous, so I added a pair of SS links and two more bolts to make a stronger anchor point for the backstay.

Here it is from the inside. An extra nut and a washer spaced the stbd link out enough to clear the plywood backing. No lock washers on the new bolts yet. They still have to be removed for painting. Fender washers under the links to make a bearing surface with no sharp corners and a dab of 5200 to keep them in place during painting.

There's a little discoloration in the plywood backing where the gudgeon bolts went through, so I'll definitely be overdrilling and filling those holes with epoxy.
I'm still hung up on some details for my swim platform/ladder mounting. I need some braces to go from the transom to the back of the platform and can't seem to come up with anything satisfactory. :doh:
CC, D15, V10

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Nav light, stemhead fitting, pulpit rail base, chock and cleat mounting holes drilled oversize, filled and drilled to finished size.
A few more dabs of Quick Fair here and there and I'll be ready to prime the cabin and deck. :D
CC, D15, V10

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

8)

msailer
New Poster
New Poster

Post by msailer »

Are there any more updates?
I have started refitting an '74 O'Day 20 and have found this thread to extremely informational.

When fitting the compression post, was there a gap between the outside shell and the internal headliner?

Thanks

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

How is your mast set up?
It probably has a compression post but some Oday's have a threaded post that allows you to put tension on the rig.
That leaves a gap when you unstep the mast.
I have an ODay 17 and there is no liner but there is a backing plate under the deck at the compression post.

Please take pictures of what you are referring too and I will try to help.

Except for some specific details, fiberglass repairs techniques are the same of all boats.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Haven't heard from GK lately. Hope he's OK.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Jpalmer415
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Jpalmer415 »

I am begining a rebuild and refit on a 1974 Oday 20. Would love to have access to your album of pics that you posted several years back. I can't seem to download them from this Boat Builders Central website. Thanks, Jim Palmer jpalmer415@gmail.com

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Larry deleted a bunch of his pictures a few years back. And I hate to tell you but Larry passed away :cry:

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:18 pm Larry deleted a bunch of his pictures a few years back. And I hate to tell you but Larry passed away :cry:
I'm guessing Mr. Palmer was looking for GK, but he appears to be offline for a long time now.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie