O'Day 20 Rebuild and Refit

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Newsailor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: O'Day 20 Rebuild and Refit

Post by Newsailor »

I poked around with a flashlight and a dentist's mirror and noticed the gap you described. I've decided not to drill holes. If you ask me though, it's a crappy bilge design. I might enlarge the hole this winter and create a custom cap for it. It will be a longitudinal hole running aft from the existing hole and no wider. I noticed standing water there, but to get it out I need a tiny hose attached to my wet vac to get it out. Strange design.

This weekend I also replaced the mast support from the wimpy 1x1 pine, to a 2x2 oak and it certainly feels sturdier. :D

The last item on my list for this season is to figure out a way to raise and lower the mast solo while the boat is on the trailer. I may start a new topic on this though, since I don't want to bogart your thread.

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

I think they used the old "out of sight, out of mind" approach to water in the boat. Notice the little gutter around the perimeter of the top liner that conducts leakage aft before it drains toward the bilge. Trying to find leaks can be frustrating. :?
CC, D15, V10

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Speaking of leaks, I hope this doesn't turn into one.
A brand new hole in my transom for an extra cockpit drain.
A fat 1½" drain with a flapper. The fitting inside stands proud and will sit about even with the top of the dridek tiles I'll be using in the cockpit.
There's about 6" of head from the scupper to the cockpit sole and the inside fit is a bit funky. I'll use a big loop of hose to make this work.
CC, D15, V10

Newsailor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Newsailor »

This looks great. I too wish the drain on these were a bit bigger the tiny one provided is way too small.

gk108

Post by gk108 »

I'm a little confused about the fairing process...
This is only about 15 sq. ft. of foredeck, but it needs an acre of fairing, just to get it ready to locate the pulpit rail and other hardware. The new toerails are already useful for keeping tools on deck. :)
CC, D15, V10

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Right now I'm working on small areas that need the most filler. The very front area is countoured about right, even though it has lots of little divots. When I get the other areas like that and blended together, I'll switch to Quickfair.

Hardware is cool. All Cleats, chocks and bow light are Wilcox-Crittenden Marinium. Pads under the pulpit rail sockets similar to the other raised mounts added on the topsides. I have an extra pair of cleats that I"m thinking about using for midships mooring cleats, but I'm worried about the jib sheet fouling on them. :doh:
CC, D15, V10

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

:)

Regarding the cleats and jib sheets... you could put cleat shoes on them while underway. :)

gk108

Post by gk108 »

ks8 wrote::)

Regarding the cleats and jib sheets... you could put cleat shoes on them while underway. :)
I saw a nifty cleat shoe made with 2 pieces of pool noodle and a couple of short bungees that I'll try. 8)
The other thing I need to decide is whether to put the extra 6" cleats on the aft quarters and move the 5" cleats to the midships position, or leave the 5" where they are and use the 6" for the midship cleats. Holes are on different centers, of course. :?
CC, D15, V10

gk108

Post by gk108 »

This portside deck is finally ready, I think. There's a total of 38 holes drilled and rotten balsa core reamed out and filled with wood flour putty. Most of the holes are interconnected enough to make it all a solid mass. The stbd side didn't have anything like that kind of damage and subsequent rot.

I guess the next step is to find out if 1.5 qt of Quick Fair will be enough to finish fairing all of the deck. 8)
CC, D15, V10

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

gk108 wrote:
ks8 wrote::)

I saw a nifty cleat shoe made with 2 pieces of pool noodle and a couple of short bungees that I'll try. 8)
I saw some nice wood ones with bungee. I suppose the pool noodle ones would be cleat slippers? :lol: