O'Day 20 Rebuild and Refit

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: O'Day 20 Rebuild and Refit

Post by gk108 »

I guess I'll amend my previous statement about cause and quantity of blisters.
Each of these brownish colored spots just forward of the transom is a small void under the gelcoat. They appear to have resin starved tips of glass strands in them.

After grinding them out and filling, I moved on to the area just ahead of that. It had a few of the telltale cracks and brown spots, but the defects were much more extensive. This bubbly area is about 4x6 inches!

It was surrounded by dozens of other, smaller voids. Here's a wider shot after the first round of QF.

Didn't realize that I was sailing with all of that additional water ballast in these blisters. :lol:
CC, D15, V10

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Whew :!:
That only took a few months. 8O
Every time I thought I had all of the blisters fixed, another one (or three) would make itself obvious.
Here's the area where the previous pictures were taken.

I used a whole gallon of S3 primer. The bottom had suffered from some aggressive sanding to remove anti-fouling paint before I got it and the surface was in rough shape from that. The first coat of primer was mostly sanded away but it filled all of the gouges and swirls.

After sanding the first coat, three more were applied at 12 hour intervals. Now the boat has a smoother entry. :D

I'm hoping the tape edge from the primer at the waterline will show through enough to mark the line when it's time to paint a bootstripe. Time to order some bottom paint.
CC, D15, V10

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

8) Like new, but better.

Newsailor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Newsailor »

Fantastic!!

gk108

Post by gk108 »

The bottom is painted.
There's a few bugs and such that a little light wet-sanding with 2000 grit will take care of.
CC, D15, V10

topwater

Post by topwater »

Big difference gk :!: Looks like you will pick up some hull speed there.
Novi 23 finally launched !

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

8)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Nice work Gary :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gk108

Post by gk108 »

I could have posted this with a few changes http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... 44#p339035 :lol:
Interlux VC Performance Epoxy has been added to my list of the most horrible smelling things, ever. Opening the can of base was a shock to the senses that literally made me step back. 8O
After a week, it seems like good stuff. Really hard finish, similar to the epoxy graphite on the keel. I'm going to try and get some of the wet sanding done this weekend, but Jr. turned 33 and I have to deliver her birthday card today. :D
CC, D15, V10

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Next up is the transom. Big changes here. The kicker bracket was on the starboard side. With a right-hand prop, like all of them except the Seagull have, this boat had two directions of travel under power...Forward and -105 deg. to Port. I haven't seen a better demonstration of prop walking. :roll:
I'm going move the kicker bracket to the other side and see if that makes it easier to back out of a slip.
Transom has a reverse rake with a bit of camber, so the bracket needs some wedges under it. The new wedges are a bit taller to trim the motor better.
Some contouring with a belt sander and the will fit the little bit of camber. Too bad the cool looking side will be against the hull.
CC, D15, V10