FREE 17 MAKO

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FREE 17 MAKO

Post by DAYTRIP »

Been experimenting with resin infusion have done 5 flat part all the same size to figure out the best technique. Had my first "perfect part" but not perfect set up. This is really cool. Creates alot of waste bag, peel py, flow media, spiral tubing, plastic tees... Working my way to a bigger part like a hard top.

This is part #3 pretty good but had some dry spots on the bottom. It is the floor of my cooler now. Both sides come out near fair. That is really nice!
Last edited by DAYTRIP on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

nice :!:

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Thanks Joel. The infusion process is preaty cool. I haven't quite profected it but getting there. Tried the first two parts using the marine epoxy but did not have the flow media. I think the viscosity is too high. Tried calling you to get your thoughts but it sounded like you were out slacken off. Last three parts were with polyester and it flowed well. One trick for sure is to put the backing side up so the slits in the foam help the resin move. Flow media on top is key as well. I am using something called Greenflow 75.

Not a cheap process.

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Dug the 17 Mako project back out this weekend and actually fliped the hull over to grind off the bottom paint and do some repairs. You can see the modifications to the cap and the overall layout. Got my Son interested in helping so I figured I better strick while the iron is hot!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I like that layout, very functional. You still have those hatch molds :?:

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

I do Joel. You need some? I modified the smaller one to incorpoate a turndown on the inside. I need to come up and get that foam and epoxy. Did you see the 258 mako I loaded photos of this morning? I am going to cut the cabin house off and make a open boat out of it, some day after the 17 is done.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

That will make a nice project. Perfect size for a new 300 4 stroke :)
You need some?
not right now, but they are super nice to have when needed. :) Please let me know if you ever want to sell them.

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

I could make you a mold from a hatch/gutter if you want Joel. That would be a fun project. I have never made a "production" type mold. The original is MDF. Not sure how many pulls are left before some work is required.

I would love to do a 300 on the 25. I plan on a small console that allows pleanty of walk around space, a coffin box fish box in front of that and I would really like to do a hardtop on a walk around tower. I just need the money tree to blossum. 8O

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Added a layer of glass to the bottom over the weekend. You will see in the earlier photos some bottom damage from a trailer so i was not sure of the overall condition. Ground the bottom panit and gel coat off. Vacuumed bag the glass down. worked preaty well.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I bet that was fun in this weather :D