Trailerable boat cover

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jennye241

Trailerable boat cover

Post by Jennye241 »

i really think that a boat cover is the right way to go, but my parents think that a tarp will do the same thing. what do you think? I looked online and found this with 20% off http:// url removed . let me know.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Trailerable boat cover

Post by gstanfield »

I don't use boat covers, I park mine indoors. As to a trailerable cover versus tarp...well sorry but there is no comparison. I doubt I would be inclined to use a trailerable cover anyways as the drive home gives the boat a chance to dry out then she gets parked indoors so all is well. If I was going to tarp it at home I'd still want to give it that chance to dry out on the trip home before covering it with the tarp.

Just my opinion
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

If your going to do anything go with the boat cover. A tarp is not designed for the boat and won't fit properly. Some boat covers have vents to remove moisture.

For short tows I'd remove it at home and leave it. For long tows I'd leave it on after checking and tightening all the straps.
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Post by Guest »

Welcome to the group! Tell us more.

What boat?

That site looks like an *affiliate generator site*. Without getting into all that, I'll simply ask what other sites you have looked at in your search? And how did you come to ask about this here at Bateau? :)

How often do you plan to put on and take off the cover? How long a trip(s) while trailering? What sort of roads? How long does it need to last? What is your budget for a suitable cover? If you have an ideal that is better than suitable, what is your budget for that ideal cover? Are your parents involved as decision makers, or are you the decision maker for researching and acquiring the appropriate cover?

I'm full of questions tonight. :lol: Alright, now its your turn to *let us know*. :D

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cali123 »

I took a little 5,ooo mile trip a few years ago and the trailerable cover really kept the boat interior clean and the contents safe. I rarely trailer my boat without the cover since I lost a seat on my bass boat years ago. You will get a few light abraisions from the straps but I think that is a small price to pay for security. George is right in advising that the boat be given a chance to dry out before covering it since most boat covers are not breathable. Using a cover comes in a distant second to keeping the boat in a garage without a cover. Tarps make poor covers in my opinion. Shelby :D