need help rebuild 23cc chawk 1985

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
chawk23
New Poster
New Poster

need help rebuild 23cc chawk 1985

Post by chawk23 »

My name is Tom I am located in North Carolina. I just bought a 1985 23cc chawk the previos owner removed the deck years ago and the stringers and transome have termites. I have never done a project like this before. I have a construction background however I have never worked with fiberglass before. I have or can get any hand tools. Was hoping this site can instruct me on the prosess and what/ where to buy supies. I already removed gas tank, cleaned out bottum of hull and grinded around stingers. The hull shell is in great shape no fiberglass repair will be needed. I have the boat on a bunk trailor and have removed the gunnel cap and rub rail.
The boat is 22'8" and 8' beam. The transom is cut out for motor, not a full transom. I have a 2000 yamaha 250hp ox66 outboard 25" shaft that i will be using. My plan is to rebuild what ever is nessisary. I am now in the prosess of removing all the wood in the transom. When I am done I will only have the outer .25" fiberglass shell leaft. Is this correct ?

Do i cut out all the stringers and leave no evidense of the old stringer or do I put new stringer along side of old ?

Do I grind off the 1" to 3" uneven lip leaft of the old deck ? Or do I leave it there to lay the new deck on ?
Any help would be great. The above questions will keep me working. Please help.
I will put pictures on forum next week.

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: need help rebuild 23cc chawk 1985

Post by D2Maine »

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

After you read those threads go take lots of pictures of what you are dealing with. As simple as it may sound, pictures are very important to get good information when doing any kind of rebuild.

Oh yeah,
welcome aboard
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

My plan is to rebuild what ever is nessisary. I am now in the prosess of removing all the wood in the transom. When I am done I will only have the outer .25" fiberglass shell leaft. Is this correct ?
Correct
Do i cut out all the stringers and leave no evidense of the old stringer or do I put new stringer along side of old ?
Yes remove all of the old stringers and grind off the FG tabbing that held them in place.
Do I grind off the 1" to 3" uneven lip leaft of the old deck ? Or do I leave it there to lay the new deck on ?
I would leave the lip to glue the new deck on.

As said, welcome aboard :D We can give better advice with pictures.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I will only add that you need to be careful in how you support the hull when you take out the stringers, if not supported correctly the hull will deform.

Oh yeah, we need pictures too :D

chawk23
New Poster
New Poster

Post by chawk23 »

I know there are instructions on how to post a picture and have read them many times and still cant do it. Could someone please try to explain to me how to post a picture ? Or maybe I could call someone and they could walk me through it ?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

chawk23 wrote:I know there are instructions on how to post a picture and have read them many times and still cant do it. Could someone please try to explain to me how to post a picture ? Or maybe I could call someone and they could walk me through it ?
located the picture in your browser (not just a thumbnail, but the actual picture), right click the picture, select image information, copy the url location of the picture. Paste the URL location of the picture into the body of your post, high light the URL then click the "Img" button just above the text box, thats it.

If you can even just post a link here, then I can help from the there

chawk23
New Poster
New Poster

Post by chawk23 »

sorry i cant figure it out. ill try to find someone here to help me that understands this system. thanks for trying to help.

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

Welcome to the forum. It's good to see another NC rebuilder here! What part of the state are you from?

I find it easier to open another tab and go to the photo gallery. Open the pic that you want to post, (the full sized version, not the thumbnail), and copy the link (see below). Return to the "reply" page and paste it in. The quote below is what I posted to another builder and it really helped him.
Right click on the image; a new menu will pop up. Click on "properties" at the bottom of the menu; a new window will open. Copy the "address (URL)" and paste it here,on the "post a reply" screen. Make sure to click on the "Img" button first so that we can see a photo instead of the address.
trc

ddbiiz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by ddbiiz »

Hey chawk,
I've got an 84 23' I'm redoing are you anywhere close to Charlotte,NC I'm just south in Rock Hill,SC.
Don