hatch experiments

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
wej
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: hatch experiments

Post by wej »

Not fair!! When you think you have almost every tool you could need some body says I used my CNC so I can cut this many times over the exact same :? :? :| :| :x :x

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

wej wrote:Not fair!! When you think you have almost every tool you could need some body says I used my CNC so I can cut this many times over the exact same :? :? :| :| :x :x
Maybe for a fee, Joel will cut the molds in the blue foam and ship the size you request. :idea:

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

they are made from epoxy. You could make them from polyester if you first coated the foam molds with epoxy. Polyester will dissolve the foam.
maybe for a fee, Joel will cut the molds in the blue foam and ship the size you request. :idea:
that might be in the future :wink:

wej
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by wej »

After you faired the molds Joel did you only add the release agent? nothing else.... this seems to easy(I know I watched you do it)....do you add release agent before every time you re-use the mold?

Thanks

Boater45
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boater45 »

Thanks, a lot of good information.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19337
OB17 - Will White, Broken Arrow, OK

brianincc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by brianincc »

Would you care to share the different depths of cuts for the molds. the inside channel should be 1\4' or so shallower than the outside flange. Correct?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

its reversed in the mold, but the measurements down (from flush with deck) is about 1.5" down to channel, 5/8" down to top of ridge, then all the way through the mold wih the last cut. The 5/8" from flush gives you 3/16" to 1/4" for hatch, 1/4" for gasket and the rest for the 5200 (bedding of glue).

I have put the hatches in the boat with gaskets, and I took some pictures to share. Will upload them and show how to make the gasket.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Too cool Joel. I can see making the same thing with a hand router if done carefully.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Too cool Joel. I can see making the same thing with a hand router if done carefully.
yep, with some jigs you could definately do it in wood. Smokey mountain has done something very similar in mood on his PH18

I made a gasket for the hatches using neoprene fuel tank strip, cut in half (lengthwise). I only glued up the straight parts first, then later I will come back and cut some pieces to complete the gasket around the turns.

this is the neoprene

bead of 5200 - not enough to leak out when compressed 8O :D You can also see the spacers in the corner the will keep the hatch from compressing down past flush. The spacer are 1/4" neoprene and 1/8" neoprene sandwiched.

sitting flush

here you can see the cover sitting on the hatch without the gasket, Im holding the 1/4" gasket along the edge to show how much room I have for the 5200

they cam out pretty nice and then I put more 5200 around the edges. Along with the compression latches I am using I should not ever hear a hatch rattle :!: That is my aim, at least.

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Wow nice work Joel.

1/ Say, if I sent you AutoCADD drawings/dimensions would you quote on cutting the molds for my hatches? (foam would be cheap to ship too)

2/ Do you mind sharing the shcedule you used? I saw you mention 2 X 1708... I was planning on 2 X 1708 with 1/2 H80 for most of the middle are to help prevent flex.... is that what yours was in the picture with the H80?

Awesome work...
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !