'72 Hydrofoil Tridyne 22' transom and sole rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
tripp2727
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: '72 Hydrofoil Tridyne 22' transom and sole rebuild

Post by tripp2727 »

is this gap going to be a problem? the sight curve of the outer skin caused the top to buckle out a little upon gluing and clamping.
the gap is about 1/2-3/4" wide

tripp2727
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tripp2727 »

I am about to glass in my transom and the gap between my hullsides and and transom core is about 1" wide. This seems like quite a bit to fill with putty. It was only 1/8" during dry fit but bowed out some from clamping.... Any suggestions? Got glass cut and dry fit. I need to figure out how to fill the 1' gap between the hullside and transom core (1st and 2nd pic)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

you can use putty, or you can use putty and a filler piece of wood. The glass is what is transferring the forces, the putty and fillet just need to be solid and not crack. If you push in a filler piece, you need to wet it out with epoxy, put some putty in the crack first, then push in the filler piece. Let it set up a bit (firm up) then fill the rest and make a fillet. that will save you a quart or two of putty :wink:

tripp2727
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tripp2727 »

Thanks Joel thats what I was thinking but wanted to check with the experts first. Hopefully today and tomorrow I will finish glassing the inside of the transom.

tripp2727
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tripp2727 »

Got glass laid today by my self. That sucked... got as many air bubbles out as i could but there were still some little white spots. take a look at the pics and let me know if i totally screwed up.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

not the worst I have seen :wink: You could have used bigger fillets, thats the biggest problem I can see.

How many layers and of what cloth is that :?:

tripp2727
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tripp2727 »

Dang I knew it... Where I had to fill the gaps in the sides with putty it was kicking really fast with all that crammed in there. It was getting hot fast and hardening so I didnt get to make them as nice as I would have liked... Oh well hopefully my transom is not going to fall off. Theres 2 layers of biax tape staggered and 3 layers of 1708 4,8,and 12' overlaps on bottom and sides. Do I need another layer to make 4 layers or is 3 ok? That was my first time laying any type of fiberglass other than a 4' strip on a surfboard repair.

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Tripp, For future layups, the fillets don't have to be truly "wet". You have up to 24-48 hours to get e chemical bond, so if they are kicking a little that's no big deal really. Just work in smaller batches so the putty doesn't heat itself up so much. It is easier to get them to mold to the glass without running out if they are a little stiff anyway. I know how hard those big sections are by yourself.... I was working with 9 by 5 sheets of 1708 and was trying to wet them out on a table laid over the gunwales and spread them out. Very cumbersome when wet...and very tiring to get back to back to back to back layers done...You will be fine with what you have....you'll get better.
Keep on slingin...
You are what you is! And I is Done!

tripp2727
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tripp2727 »

Thanks Fitz Ive been following your build and its almost exactly how i want mine to turn out :). Its like the old saying goes knowing and doing are two completely different things. I feel like I know how to do it from reading, watching video, asking questions etc... but when the resin hits the glass its a whole different story. I learn quick (maybe because I mess up often) so next time ill be ready and work in smaller batches and maybe have a hand or two to help. Thanks for the help and keep rocking on yours, it keeps me motivated.

Bmack03
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Bmack03 »

I just saw you rebuild from 2012. I just finished a Tridyne and love it. How do you like yours?