'72 Hydrofoil Tridyne 22' transom and sole rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
tripp2727
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: '72 Hydrofoil Tridyne 22' transom and sole rebuild

Post by tripp2727 »

just placed an order for my first batch of materials. hopefully i didnt leave anything out... Shine i sent an email to yall about the hardener speed since i didnt see it in the order form.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

please type notes/changes to orders into the "comment" section of order form.

Its very possible we will process/ship the order before I even read all the email. BTW, I do not see an email anyway :doh:

tripp2727
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tripp2727 »

I was going to switch one bottle of medium hardener for the slow hardener like you suggested for the larger lay ups. I must have missed the comments section on the order form...

tripp2727
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tripp2727 »

Got materials ordered yesterday and some more demo done this morning.

Got the stringers cut back an additional 18" or so and ground tabbed surface flush with the hull...

Also wanted to show yall what a portion of my stringers look like. They are bowed on both insides but not cracked. Its only bowed in the area where the gas tank was between the stringers. It looks as if they were either made that way (i doubt it), or when the foam was poured into the the stringer the expansion caused the bowing (probable). These will be filled back in with foam but i wanted to make sure that they would be ok as is or should i make an attempt to straighten these sections out?

There is also a thumb sized hole in the bow section where an old transducer was mounted. Im not sure how to fill this hole... I was thinking of laying in a few layers of glass on the inside of the hull, then filling the hole from the outside with epoxy glue/putty, then maybe laying a layer or two of glass on the outside as well? is this the correct way to fill this size hole?

The last area that i need to fix is on the sheerline near the transom. When i was taking the liner out via the brute force method i was prying the liner away from the hull with a prybar and accidentally delaminated a section of the hull at the very top. The delaminated section is about 30"x6".

Should i cut this section out completely or just relaminate it with epoxy resin? It seems like it would be much easier and cleaner looking to just fill the void between with resin and clamp it back together. The top is open the whole length like a pita pocket if you will... Could I just pour in resin clamp and be done???

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Steven »

You'd want to use thickened epoxy. Might be hard to get it all the way down. I'd cut it, grind a feathered edge and re-laminate it. Wouldn't be much work IMO.

Steven

Post by Steven »

You'd want to use thickened epoxy. Might be hard to get it all the way down. I'd cut it, grind a feathered edge and re-laminate it. Wouldn't be much work IMO.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Steven

Post by Steven »

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

OK, Steven we get it!!!!! GOSH! :D :D
You are what you is! And I is Done!

Steven

Post by Steven »